• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can someone help me... [UPDATE]

Jessika

Young Bun
Well, I mentioned that my female bunny has been losing her fur and a lot of people mentioned moulting. I gave in to my instincs and took her to the vet when I found a lump on her jaw.

It turns out that she has an abcess in her cheek. She's there overnight for surgery, they're going to call me in a few hours to let me know how it goes. Can anyone tell me anything about the risks of general anethesia in rabbits and anything else about abcesses. I've looked it up but I would really very much prefer some first-hand opinions.

i'm really sorry! I don't have any experience with abcesses in rabbits but my bunny has had a GA twice and been fine - it does take a few days for them to get 100% back to normal the older they are. I will have a quick search on the web for you and come back. Hopefully by then someone with loads of experience will be able to reassure you. Sending lots of healing bunny vibes to you and your bunny (hugs)) :)

Okay found some info... here is nursing care

Nursing care
Some rabbits don't seem too bothered by their abscesses and carry on life as normal during treatment, but many need careful nursing and supportive care. One specific point is that clean, soft bedding is essential to reduce the potential for contamination of the wound. Straw and hay must be avoided. "Vet bed" is a comfortable alternative which is easy to launder.

Sorry to hear about that, i'm sure someone will be along with some advice soon

Sending vibes for her to have a quick recovery

Kathryn x

Thanks guys. I'm expecting a vet call soon to tell me how she did with the surgery. What's a vet bed, and how do I get one? And I don't think they mentioned any pain medication, just an antibiotic shot and some anti-biotics for home, should I ask for pain meds?

I don't have a lot of experience but one bun that came to me, Frazer, had an abcess on his neck and the vet cut it off and although it healed slowly (it was on his neck under his chin so in a confined area) it didn't seem to bother him too much. He was given metacam for 5days after the op and he's now healed up nicely. GA's are really only potentially dangerous to rabbits if they have other problems, either known or unknown - the abcess its-self shouldn't affect the way you buns deals with the GA and if she's fit and well otherwise she should come through just fine. Have a chat with your vet about pain meds, they'll be able to advise you either way. Vet bed is a fluffy kind of fleecey type thing. The only place I have actually seen it if you need to get hold of it quick is Pets at Home but I'm sure you can get it else where or on the net. Fingers crossed for you and your bun, I'm sure she'll be fine.x

I got a call from the vet's office. Actually from the vet who preformed the operation, she called me as soon as they were done, I was talking to her while my Star was coming back from being asleep. She said "Star's doing great, she's just starting to lift her head up" I was so thrilled. I've never had a bunny get sick before so I was in peices at the vet's office.

They said if I wanted pain meds for her that they would give them to me, and I called the pet shop who said that they have beds like that, so I'll go get one before I pick her up tomorrow.

Thank you guys so much for your help during this tough time.

Can anyone tell me what the risks are for me losing her during recovery? Or perhaps her getting another abcess because they didn't completely drain it?

Hi Jessica. I have a feeling from your post that you aren't based in UK. Vet bed is not actually a bed, but the name of the material which is usually sold off the roll or in ready- cut sizes. It is made in such a way that any moisture is wicked away from its surface which is why many animal hospitals use it post-op as it helps kep an incontinent animal dry. It is also a very soft bedding material which is very good for animals with skeletal problems. Many vets actually stock it here, as do most pet shops. You can also buy it on Ebay. I think it may also been known as vetinary fleece. I thought I'd just clarify this for you as from what the pet shop said "that they have beds like that" I think they must have misunderstood and are referring to the igloo type pet beds which are made with a fleecy material, but as Romy said the vetbed pieces are easier to launder, and dry very quickly. Fingers crossed for your bunster. :)

No I'm in Canada. I can't get to sleep because I'm worried about my Star. It's 5 in the morning, almost. And I can't pick her up until 8. Veterinary fleece, eh. That sounds interesting. I'll ask about it for sure.

Hello - I'm sorry your bunny has an abscess. I know what you're going through, as my Poppy had an abscess two months ago. Unfortunately, hers had gone into the jaw bone, which the Vet found out when she did the x-ray. The Vet did try to remove it, but several days later another one appeared. It turned out that Poppy had ostemyelitis (bone wasting) in her jaw - she was only 18 months old. :( I know lots of people have had their bunnies recover from abscesses. I think the key thing is to get all of the pus out, which is difficult as rabbit pus is very thick and also to have adequate antibiotics to help kill any infection. Unfortunately, my bun's abscess was far too deep into her bone for it to be cured and she had to be let go under the GA. Hopefully, if your bunny's abscess is in her cheek, it is confined to soft tissue and can be removed more easily. Did the Vet do an x-ray? Sending lots of hugs to your bun. Claire x

Yeah the abcsess is in the cheek. I guess she got a piece of sharp hay stuck in it. I'm going to pick her up from the vet's in two hours. I was up all night worrying about her.

I sure she'll be fine, and that the vet will give you plenty of advice. Keep us posted with her progress. :)

Hi Jessika,

My Mrs. Buns had an abscess in her cheek a couple of years ago. The vet simply lanced it and drained it. I had to drain it a few more times and used a syringe to put peroxide into the wound. She has done fine and no more abscesses.

I hope Star is doing fine.

Brigitte

Just picked Star up from the vet, she's eating soft foods and cleaning herself and cuddling with me. Seems to be perfectly fine other than the gaping hole in the side of her face... And all the fur she lost.

I'm having trouble getting her to take her medication though, does anyone have any tips on how to get her to take it easier? I'm all by myself so I can't get anyone to help me.

Hi Jessika! When I have to give medication, I find you can syringe it into a small chunk of banana. Mine love a piece of banana as a treat, so they eat it with the medicine hidden inside. Claire x

hmm.. I don't have banana's here, and my mom already left for work. I need to get a syringe full into her right away, but that banana idea sounds great for when my mom comes home and I can go pick some up. We have to go get groceries anyways, we're running out of everything.

Does your bunny let you old her on her back in your arms or would she let you gently tip her onto her back if you sat on a chair and had her on your knees on her back, facing you. You could then maybe syringe the medicine into her mouth, but do so gently so she can swallow it gradually. I've done this before and it was quite an easy way to get it into the bun's mouth. It is very difficult to syringe it into their mouths if they are sitting on all fours. Good luck. Claire x

She does let me hold her like that, but the second I put the medicine in her mouth and start pushing the plunger she jumps up, and I don't want to hurt her, I'm very careful with her. It took me just about an hour but I got the whole thing into her. Very slowly and carefully. Now I have to do it again tonight.. But she's worth it.

Back