• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Booked in for spaying :-(

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I've been putting it off for ages, but Faline is finally booked in to be spayed. I'm very worried. :-(

Also, the receptionist said I'd need to keep her seperate from Molly for 10 days till she has her stitches out, then she should be fine. Is this right? Wont they unbond etc?

I've never heard that before. You should take them both to the vets to keep eachother company and so its less stressful. I def wouldnt keep them apart.

My friend took her two girly buns to be spayed together and the bond they formed whilst in the vets was unbelievable - they are unseparable now! :D

I always try & keep bonded buns together when they go to the vets. Seperating them can cause them unecessary stress & there is a chance by seperating them their bond will be broken.

I`m sure someone on here not long ago had her vet insist her rabbits were sperated when one was neutered & she had a nightmare re-bonding them.

I would speak to your vet again & explain why it`s not a good idea to sperate them, ( politely ofcourse ) :wink:

Su.x

I always insist on taking my pairs together :D I dont keep them apart at all as they tend to look after each other and are comfortied too.

Please read this, I hope you find it comforting and you should NEVER seperate bunnies for any reason (unless they are fighting :roll: )

It comes from this thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=45925

snowy wrote:
Just to say a great big thank you to everyone who supported us, I have always been 100% behind castrating and speying because I think it gives an animal a much better relaxed life and so when I took on Mack and Mabel I knew that Mabel would have to be done sooner or later, but by heck, even me who is quite a strong person, nearly crumbled.
Speying is a big operation for a bunny especially one like Mable who, as you all know, was in a dreadful state when she came in and with her deformed legs and unknown medical condition (we didn't know if the vet would find anything when she operated) but I made the decision and booked her in. I doubted my judgement when she came home from the vet, she was very poorly and I really thought that I was going to lose her but she battled through and is so much better.

Of course it may have helped her having Mack by her side, I brought her home and he never left her for a moment, he washed her and licked her all over, he nuzzled in to her and cuddled her to comfort her and when I saw, on Saturday evening, Mabel roll on to her side for Mack to wash her wound site, I have no doubt that bunnies should live as pairs.

So I have learned some important lessons and if anyone is in any doubt then just think, yes bunnies should live as pairs, yes bunnies should be neutered and yes bunnies are sensitive, loving and caring animals.

Sorry this is long but I am just so relieved that Mack and Mabel are getting better, they deserve it and this has been a very emotional time for me.

Thank you everyone

What a super post. It might be an idea to save it somewhere, so that you can post it to another later thread if/when someone's else goes through what you have just been through. I'm sure it would give reassurance.
Hilda

snow is booked in for friday but i think ill councel it untill next week as im not up to looking after a sick recovring bun right now plus its hannahs birthday on monday

I send bonded pairs to the vets for the op, but with my bonded 9 Kendra went with just one of the other girls. They stayed separate until she was healed after 10 days & then re-introduced. There were no probs, but there are that many buns, I'm not sure anybun noticed :shock: :lol:

^ lol. So any tips on asking the vet if they can go together without making me look like a know it all busybody worrier?

Back