• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

faced with an awful decision

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
6 months ago i took in a little male lionhead named duke 2 years old a really lovely little bunny 8 weeks ago i had him castrated and he also had to have a dental his back teeth are awful, now he has lost weight and after seeing the vet this morning he needs another dental my vets have suggested putting him to sleep they say because im a rescue a dental is around £50 a time which would neauter another bunny if i didnt have him ive never had to have a bunny put to sleep because he,s needed such regular treatment and i dont know what to do
at this moment in time i owe the vets £1000 which is a real struggle to pay off no one would take him on with his problem knowing how much it will cost for him to have a dental every 8 weeks and also is it fair for him to keep putting him under anaesthetic
advice needed i dont know what to do for the best :cry: :cry:

Oh no what an awful situation :cry: :cry:

I take it this is an ongoing thing and wouldn't be helped by hay and veg diet, I saw a few people runs sanctuarys for dental and long term buns, perhaps you could try there? Sorry I don't know any names. Are there any vets who could do it cheaper?

At the end of the day you have to consider what is best for the rescue overall, it an awful desicion to have to make :cry:

i would try a serious diet change first to see if that will make a difference to the time between dentals .

try switching to a greens and hay diet . this may encourage his teeth to grind down naturaly .

it may be though that they grow abnormaly ...in which case change of diet wont make much difference .

personaly i would never PTS for this reason ...unless it was for the rabbits good .
but i understand what a drain on resources this must be .

could you not specificaly fundraise for this bunnys treatment.

please dont rush into this decision .
try alternatives first .
my old bun thumper, once ,only went 8 weeks between dentals but he only ever did that once . now he varys between 3 and 5 months .

Angie

If you can't work out a solution that's suitable to you and PTS is your choice I will have the chap here if we can sort transport out. I certainly don't mind paying his vets fees.

Louise

Some vets may agree to a dental with no GA aswell. There's one in Notts & Coventry, so maybe you could shop aropund for one near you? That would make it tonnes cheaper.

Please don't put to sleep though - there's a few people on here mad enough to take a problem bun :wink:

Is it possible for him to have the dental without GA? This is cheaper and less stressful fo rthe bun.

Also, I agree with the change in diet trial. When I got Inky, he had uneven front teeth and for a while it was quite a worry. After changing his diet to tonnes of hay and veg, he has really improved.

an awful decision

duke is given plenty of hay and veg but its made no difference :cry: i feel awful even contemplating it :oops: i dont know of any sanctuaries that would take him he is such a sweetie but my vets look at it as an overall picture they see it as the money id be spending on him would be of better use elsewhere it allways boils down to money i just dont know whats the right thing to do

Where are you? Perhaps a bunny run can be arranged to somewhere that has the resoucses to deal with him? Please don't feel bad, I'm sure there is a soultion apart from PTS.

awful decision

we are in eastbourne, i wont be rushing into anything i just want to do whats right surely im not the only rescue faced with a decision like this :?: im seeing a different vet tomorrow for a second oppinion then will bring him home and decide what to do advice is appreciated but please dont judge me just because im contemplating it :oops: doesnt mean im a bad person i have alot of bunnies in my care like every rescue and i have to do whats right, ill ask to put him on rabbits in need to see if anyone will offer to take him on and will get piccies up to when i figure out how to do it :wink:

That is a horrible situation :(

I think its a good idea to put him in RIN to go to a special home. As Angie has said there are other vet practices much cheaper than yours- my vet only charges £8 for a dental without GA- thats the one in Nottingham, which is really no big deal but I can understand why £50 would be.

if i lived nearer id take him on as my bf has quite a good job so money isnt really an issue :?

im so sorry your faced with this decision :(

ellepotter said:
If you can't work out a solution that's suitable to you and PTS is your choice I will have the chap here if we can sort transport out. I certainly don't mind paying his vets fees.

Louise

Hope Louise's lovely offer hasn't been missed. PTS does not have to be considered unless it is due to Duke actually suffering

Janex

I'd agree with Jane on that one - there's definitely no need to PTS due to cost - I would only consider this if it was due to Duke suffering and if nothing else could be done to help him. How kind of Louise to offer to take Duke and pay for his treatment! :D Claire x

Caroline,

I pm`d you with details a while back of a vet in Lewes who burrs without GA & is registered with the RWA. Did you not recieve it?

Then if someone local to you is interested in offering him a home it might be of help.

Su.x

awful decision

im extremely grateful of louises offer to have him, but its getting him there would anyone be able to help with a bunnyrun will pm louise now :wink:

My rabbit has ongoing teeth probs and my vet suggested PTS but since joining here i wouldnt do it as now i know rabbits can get thru it :)

Its hard with money im only a skill seeker so dont get paid much but i struggle through as my bun is fine apart from his teeth, its a hard decision but in the end i suppose u have to make that..

Sorry i couldnt help x

Jack's-Jane said:
ellepotter said:

Louise

Hope Louise's lovely offer hasn't been missed. PTS does not have to be considered unless it is due to Duke actually suffering

Janex
Also I live in Surrey but make frequent trips up to North Derbyshire to my Mum so could assit in a bunny run for this fella

Re: awful decision

bunnyrun said:
im extremely grateful of louises offer to have him, but its getting him there would anyone be able to help with a bunnyrun will pm louise now :wink:
sorry didn't see this as only read the first page but I would gladly help with a bunny run :) I am just off the M3 and make frequent trips to North Derbyshire so could do a huge chunk of the run :D

Back