• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! Babies too big?!

Hi,

I have a mini rex doe and a rex buck. My buck is due to be neutered next week, BUT....my 6 year old neice decided to put the bunnies together over the weekend, without me knowing, and she had been told why they don't play together yet!!

So now I am worried my doe may be pregnant. If she is, would the babies be too big as she is a mini rex and he is a standard rex?

PLEASE HELP!!

If it happened over this weekend then take the doe up this week and get her spayed before you do the buck. It might be an idea to put a lock on the hutches to stop your 6yr old niece from touching the buns without supervision in future.

I doubt its an ideal scenario for the Doe. I would consult your Vet who may advise spaying your Doe straight away to prevent possible complications should she have conceived.

Janex

babies too big

if your doe is pregnant the babies will be her size so dont panic i had a similar situation with an unneautered french lop and a female lionhead my vet said the babies will be the females size not the males but i did have the female spayed the day after it happened my advice would be to have her spayed so you dont get an unwanted litter

My doe is only just 6 months old and my vet has said he wants to wait another 2 or 3 weeks before he spays her, I did ask about getting her done about a month ago and again when I booked my buck in.

As my niece very rarely visits I'd rather not put a lock on the hutches, as anyone with children will know it's hard to keep an eye on them all the time, but she isn't usually badly behaved and just got over excited I think.

Please don't think I'm a careless owner, I can assure you I am not.

babies too big

you are not a careless owner it was an accident, accidents happen can you not phone your vet and explain whats happened and say you dont want babies under the cicumstances he may do it its worth a try

I think alot of vets will usually spay from around 4 months old so she should be ok to be spayed, unless she is particularly small. Hope you can get her sorted out. If your vet wont do it then let us know what area you are in and maybe someone can recommend a good vet that will :wink:

Keep us posted regardless of your decision, and if you decide to let the bun proceed with her pregnancy(if she is, that is!! :) don't forget to have that camera ready and primed!!!!! We love pics of baby bunsters..even accidental ones :lol:

Re: babies too big

bunnyrun said:
my vet said the babies will be the females size not the males
a friend of mine had a dwarf lop called Brian that was put with Hercules (who her husband decribed as the biggest bun he had ever seen) :shock: Brian turned out to be a she and had baby buns as a result. The one they kept was twice the size of the mother :shock:

I would advise getting her spayed too - vets will often bring the spay age forward a bit if there is a genuine reason to.

Back