• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

am i being paranoid worrying bout losing bunnies?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
I dont seem tohave had much luck with getitng long living bunies.i think i must be such a bad bunnuy mummy no matter how hard i try :(

Kibbles was 8 weeks old when i got her..she was il with dental probs oral syhpllis..the runs...ear and eye infections and oh yes more dentalprobs..soft poo overload due to dental probs. she was with us for 18 months before being put down cos of her teeth.

Woozle we had as a babay and we had him 18 months before he died so horribly and suddenly.
Oscar was 8 month sod whenwe got himandwe had him 16 months from gi stassi..
we have had bif since 27th march 2006 and i am getting paranod about losing her inthe same time frame ive lost th eothers...bertie weve had since 1st spet 2006 and i am going to worry withhim too..and willow..i am aare ive had health rpobs by th ebucketload betweenthemall..too but i am so paranoid that maybe if i have abunny ayear thats going to be record for me...

its coincendence ive been told..ohits cos they were sick bunies..or theyw ere lops apart from woozle..its cos youw erent as experinced..its because you had abad vet..its because im cursed i say...any pet living withme is under a death senence..our ctas as well..snuggles died of heart falure after fighting it for 8 months..tabitha died form kidney disease and failure after a 15 month battle and surgery on one kidney..her daughter died before her licking solvent cleaner the idiots who put the wheelchair porch for my daighters electric wheelchair had used onthe pvs frames INSIDE!!
Snuggles was 10 yrs old.bumble was 11 years old and her mum was 12 years old..
our first cat was a 10 month old kittenand got run over..our hamster was almost a year old and she got strep throat ff my dauhgter and died..
at the nd of this month will have had Bif 14 months.oscar died after beinghere 16months and theothers 18 months..so when that timehappensil be worrying if she will go then or go in july.etc..
considering shes bene so ill poor thing im really worried..

am i being paranoid do you reckon..is theresome reason for this pattern.isit me... :(

I seriously doubt it's you!

I know what you mean though, my next door neighbours clean their rabbit out once a fortnight, chuck in some rubbish food and it is one of the healthiest bunnies I've seen (it make regular trips to my garden, it has a run that it occasionally escapes from)! Yet my lot, who are vaccinated, given good quality food, dust free hay and more love and attention then I would lavish on any human, seem to live at the vets!

The last rabbit I lost, Floss, was 5 months old when she died and I'd only had her for 6 days (3 of which she spent in the vets). I did everything you could do to ease the transition of a rescue bunny into a home but she died of a genetic problem that I could do nothing about.

IMHO I think that a lot of the problems stem from breeding. There are just so many rabbits and I sometimes think that rabbits that shouldn't be are being bred by uncaring people(which is a shame because there are breeders and owners that do care about where their baby rabbits end up).

You just have to try your best, it's all you can do and remember that your rabbits, despite their health problems, probably have a much better life (however long)with you then many poor rabbits ever get.

I lost lots of bunnies years ago but I don't think I did anything wrong. I had two that got to good ages (seven and nine) but quite a few more that died unexpectably for no apparent reason when they were just 1-2 years old.

Just the way life goes I think.

Awww, hun, it's not you! I completely understand where you are coming from though. After losing two very loved buns within six months I started to wonder if it was just me :shock: I know it isn't though and that some bunnies just aren't as healthy as others from the start. I have no doubt at all in my mind that you are a wonderful bunny owner, and that any bun would be lucky to call you mum x :D

I've said the same myself recently. My bunnies are cared for very well, get veterinary care, cleaned our everyday, lots of exercise and the right diet and yet, I lost Poppy two months ago and now I'm having some problems with Humphrey. I'm asking what I'm doing wrong, but I know the answer is nothing. However, when you hear of buns kept in tiny hutches, not cleaned out, fed the wrong things that live to a ripe old age, you do start to question yourself! My Humph has watery eyes and I've tried everything. If this turns out to be his teeth at four months old, I know it's not going to be my fault, as we've had him for two months and he's eaten BAGS of Oxbow Western Timothy in the past few weeks! Still hoping it's not tooth roots, though! Claire x

:shock: omg Bif is seing the vet in the morning for the start of gi stasis AGAIN! No doubt caused by the fact she spits out her panacur all over her dewlap and lcks it alloff..8slaps head* aaarghhh and berties got a weird little lump on his back that moves around..hes not in any pain etc and i would rahter wait till the end of may for him to see petra whenshes back..if its worse then ill go see another vet.
Its terrible isnt it..i really get ratles by the like sof my half sister who had so many rabbits hey didnt even name half of them..several had tobe put doen to crumbling hips and spines etc etc you anme it..never mind the ones who died of vhd cos they didnt even know about it to vacinate against it..not one bun..buck or doe was doctored..water bottles dry and algae filled..no food no bedong just bits of mouldy straw..and they died..he ones who survived got taken away by the rspca who i caled as shed let a dog die of rat posioning cos they didnt have aphone bookto calthe rspca!
shes had 2 rabits inthe emantime..one died at age 5 the other one i want to remove and foster myself..hes unloved..dirty conditions not fed right..andnot done or vaccnated and lives in a plastic cage i gave her years ago in a cold agrage al alone and forgotten..withth eodd day of being dumped to run wild inthe garden!
oh says my mum their rabbits are way healthier than yours..what do you do wrong..i do wonder i really do! :(

im sorry youguys have had the losses youve had too..and like me im sure you get worried when th next ones going to die or egt really ill..because we care too much..
my familyhave said my bunnies and my old cats got ills o much and died because i pamper them too much they dont get as hardy as others pets.. :( how can i not..theyre family my pets..my furbabies..
i agre gentetics has alot to do with it..as does the bunnies pervious life too.
for instance oscar was healthy and fine but only 8 month sold and a mini lop..their skulls grow til theyre 18 months old right? well the breeder didnt have themon breeder and grower food but on wagg mix. soi gavehim what he ws used to..and lots of hay and small veggies as he got upset tums..well he got sore eyes..teth probs and its cos he was alop and also he didnt have the right foods..i dont think she evr gave them veg or fruit cos he had no idea what they were.

Bif is a rescue bun..and ive ben told she was abit onthe rough side to say the least..and shes again part lop so prone to teth probs..
then theres bertie from jo the breeder her bunny who needed a good retirement home and was a widower and took bif on as his new missus..and hes stayed with me..he was 18 months old wheni got him and was just coming off a and p breeders and growers pellets..his bones are great..his teth are wonderful..hes had silly things like mites a heamatoma..irritated bladder from the concrete dust after the flood and gunky eyes from us aving a fan on as it was hot.
Willow who was supected of not having much hope with having EC and its turned out to be a n ear infection! and her paperwork for pet plan hadtn even got here!
aaarghhhhhh!!!

Back