• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a pair of buns be bonded with another bun (s)?

Hi,

I think this has been brought up before, but I can't find where.

I have two gorgeous buns, who I love dearly, and they have a wondeful double 5' hutch with an 8' long x 3' hgh run, and I would love to be able to offer another bun or buns a home.

However, I wouldn't want Bob and Abby to be upset...so how do I know if they would be able to bond?

Is it better to just stick with my two, or is it worth a try to give a good home to another bun(s)

Thanks

Amanda x

I added Fifi to my pair after they had been together for about 1yr :wink: They love each other :D I think its very individual to your rabbits whether it will work or not but i know a few other people have done it before successfully :D

I thought about adding another bun to my two but they are both boys and i didn,t want to risk it.
I have since got a little girl who was found wandering in a garden.I would love to try to bond them all but i have second thoughts and going to get my girly a boyfriend when she has been spayed :D

Hi Amanda,

Firstly, I will assume you have a good rescue near you and that you'd be looking at rescue rabbits? If so, hopefully they'll be able to do a bond for you.
We started with a pair who'd been together all their life (Nellie 3, Poppet 2.5) and successfully bonded them with a male after one brief spat (Elvis 1.5) with help from our local RSPCA. If another rabbit or rabbits are what you want there is no reason why it shouldn't become reality.
The other route is babies but that almost certainly means pet shop or breeders and you have the whole growing up/spay/neuter thing to contend with. We have a group of 2, 3 and 4 and would dearly love to bond them all together, we are very confident we will be able to bond seven.
What I'm saying is go for it and if you do, we're all here to support you.

Neil

Thanks everyone....I had really fallen fro Tiger and Thumper, but they are a little way away from me.

The one thing that I would be concerned about is is giving them a home and then for them not to bond with my two, and I don't think I would have enough room to put another hutch and run in the garden aswell as the bunny mansion that I have!

If I could be sure that they were getting on and that they would bond I would have them in a heartbeat!

Maybe, as you suggest I should try a rescue more local who would actually take my two and bond them....

At Briar Patch you normally bring your bunny/bunnies and then Eve tries to bond them. It can take a few days, you would have to leave your two there. Eve and her husband take turns in watching the bonding, day and night. With Penny and Snoopy it was love at first sight, so I could take them home again after one hour of bonding only. But usually it takes a few days, and sometimes it does not work out at all.
What are the dimensions of your hutch? For 4 bunnies Eve normally prefers a shed.

I have a 5' double hutch - both levels are 2' high by 2' deep x 5' wide and an 8' long by 3' high x 5' wide run attached which the buns have access to all day (and very rarely go into the hutch!)

Would this be suitable...certainly seems big enough to house another 2 :)

Briar Patch isn't too far, and there are some lovely pairs in at the moment, including tiger and thumper :D Eve does all the bonding and makes sure she is happy with how they are getting on before letting them go.

I got both my buns from Eve, and hopefully she will be bonding another in with my pair soon :) I know Eve takes each situation as it comes and considers all factors rather than just giving a certian size accomedation has to be. Especially as you have a large, attached run, I would contact her and have a chat.

the website is www.briarpatchrescue.co.uk or you can email briarpatchrescue@aol.com

That hutch sounds huge. You often see two storey hutches with each level being quite low and not very deep. If they can use the run all the time and it is secure, then I think the setup would be fine for 4 bunnies. But Eve needs to decide that. Aunty Sally (Spacegirl) lives in Kent, she'd probably come and do the homecheck. :D

Neil-and-Maria said:
The other route is babies but that almost certainly means pet shop or breeders ........... Neil

Sorry, but I must be very ignorant, why does it mean that if you require babies a pet shop or breeder is needed? Of the many rabbits ARC takes in each year approximately 30% of these are under the age of 12 weeks. From talking to many other rescues, many of these also take in large numbers of young rabbits too.

jrn1310 said:
Neil-and-Maria said:
The other route is babies but that almost certainly means pet shop or breeders ........... Neil

Sorry, but I must be very ignorant, why does it mean that if you require babies a pet shop or breeder is needed? Of the many rabbits ARC takes in each year approximately 30% of these are under the age of 12 weeks. From talking to many other rescues, many of these also take in large numbers of young rabbits too.

Sorry jrn1310,

Just going on personal experience. We are volunteers for our local RSPCA (we photograph and put their new rabbits each week on Rabbit Rehome) and in all the time we've dealt with them babies have never become available (2 years). You are quite correct in retrospect as I've read about a number of pregnant does coming into rescue on here recently. I stand corrected and will pm BobandAbbysmum to that effect.

yours humbly
Neil

Victoria39 said:
We have a group of 2, 3 and 4 and would dearly love to bond them all together, we are very confident we will be able to bond seven.

Do you fancy bonding my 7 then :lol: :lol:

Our 3 and 4 regularly all come in the lounge together in a temporary run, it just gets a bit more sticky when they are outside in areas they all use. There are pictures on here of all 7 together (and 9).

bunnybondingpictures021named.jpg

This one is from our 9 rabbit sunday afternoon bond.

Neil

Im thinking of doing the same :D Been thinking about it for a while though and I havent been brave enough to actually decide yet though :oops:

I would love to add another bun to Beau and Buu and was going to go to our local rescue this week to have a chat about it :D They dont offer a bonding service though and the most I could do would be taking my two up there while I pick a new friend for them. It would be so much easier if there was a rescue here that helped with bonding :lol: I have been putting off bonding Buu and Beau though because im thinking it would probably be easier to bond three at the same time rather than my two and then add another one :lol:

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victoria39 wrote:
Quote:
We have a group of 2, 3 and 4 and would dearly love to bond them all together, we are very confident we will be able to bond seven.

Do you fancy bonding my 7 then

Our 3 and 4 regularly all come in the lounge together in a temporary run, it just gets a bit more sticky when they are outside in areas they all use. There are pictures on here of all 7 together (and 9).

Thanks for the info. I love Decoy, hope he doesn't eat too much :lol: I will try an indoor bonding session, I'm a whimp and you will probably be able to hear me shaking in my boots from Brum!! I have 2 groups of 2 and a trio (dad and 2 daughters). I did manage to bond the 2 groups of 2 though, unfortunately it seems to have increased my grey hairs :lol: :lol:

Neil you're very brave to do that. I'd love to have a big bonded group but would be too afraid of handling and seperating that many buns if a fight broke out.

How do they tend to react when together? My next task is bonding the boyfriends babies (2 boys) back with the the trio I posted about. I'll pm you later if that's ok as this is probably off topic. :)

Back