• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eeek, is it the dreaded Myxi?

Squiffy

Young Bun
Hi all

My young bunny Squiffy had her first myxi vaccination 10 days ago and today on a routine check i have found her genitals really swollen (like a colobus monkey's nose!) and approx 12-15 weals around her genital less furry lower belly region. She has no other signs of lumps around her body or face and at present is her usual bouncey self. She did yesterday have a tiny sore corner of one eye, but on inspection and cleaning i found a small piece of hay and some gathered fur in there, which i duly removed and so was not alarmed. Today the eye seems fine and any soreness pretty much healed.

Anyway, i've had bunnies with atypical myxi before and am familiar with the kind of associated skin sores and amount of care required if diagnosed. I live in the country surrounded by fields although i have never seen any rabbits within near range as there is very little cover for them. However i know myxi is spread by biting insects so i guess the actual proximity of wild rabbits is unimportant.

Basically my concerns and questions are:

- Could my rabbit be experiencing an allergic reaction to the myxi vaccine?

- If she has been exposed to myxi in the last few days, what amount of protection could she have taken on board considering she only had her first vaccination 10 days ago? Also what therefore could the outcome be - full blown disease or the atypical version?

- Is there any other ailment which could produce simlilar symptoms around the genitals?

- Should i separate her from the other two older bunnies, who were boostered 10 days ago?

- Finally, it's Bank Holiday - i've spoken to the emergency vet today who said take her to my own vet tomorrow morning. Obviously i want to get diagnosed / begin any treatment asap so should i wait that long? I know there is no magic cure if myxi is diagnosed, but i recall antibiotics are given so would it be better to get started with that asap or can i wait till tomorrow?

If anyone else has been in this situation re turnaround time of vaccinations or have any advice re my above questions i'd really like to hear from you.

Many thanks in advance and fingers crossed for Squiffy,

Cheers,

Hazel x

I have absolutely no advice I'm afraid, but I really hope it's just an allergic reaction and easily sorted out.

Hello Hazel

Full immunity from the Myxo vaccine should be established by 14 days. Many factors effect how efficient the vaccine will be. These include if the vaccine was administered correctly (10% must be given INTRADERMALLY)
The health of the Bun at time of vaccination. If Bun were to be harboring another illness (eg snuffles) then they may not produce such a good immune response to the vaccine.

How old is the Bun you are concerned about? A condition called Treponamatosis (rabbit syphillis) causes genital lesions and swelling. Treponamatosis is transmitted during mating and at birth from effected Doe to kits.

I dont think seperating the Bun from the others now will make much difference.

Given what you have said here I think I would want the Bun examined by a Vet ASAP. As you say, IF it is Myxi starting treatment promptly is essential.

I do hope it's not Myxi, please keep us posted

Janex

Jane - thanks for your response i appriciate it.

Squiffy is about 6 months old and has not been mated or come into contact with any rabbits other than my other two does.

She is a very healthy bunny and recieved complements re her health from the vet when they did the vaccination on 27th April.

I've read online that a vaccination must be 10% subcutaneous - to be honest, the vet injected so fast i wouldn't have noticed the needle going in twice. Are they pretty quick at doing that do you think, so much so that i wouldn't notice?

I have looked online and seen pics of the syphallis type you mention and it doesn't appear to look like that.

I do fear the worst, but am keeping fingers crossed for atypical strain. This is just awful as i'm such a good bunny mummy, I'd hate to think that it's my fault for not getting her vaccinated a little earlier in the year. To be honest, there has been little obvious evidence of myxi in this area for a few years and perhaps i was being a little slow in getting them done, not consciously of course, but i usually get them done each april/may ahead of the summer. Perhaps because of the warmer weather we've had in April things have sped up in wild populations with early appearance of flying biting insects and perhaps this is a sign that this year may be a problematic one all round?

Please everyone make sure your little dears are vaccinated asap.

I'm taking Squiffy to the vets at 8am and will keep you posted.

Any further advice or words of support from anyone would be really helpful!

Hazel x

Personally, I wouldn't seperate. Myxi, if it is that, is spread by biting insects or contact with discharge (we it sounds like she doesn't have). I would take anti flea/fly procautions such as treating any other pets you have for fleas, hanging flypaper (if appropriate), checking there is no standing water about etc.

Could it be she had a fight with the other two? Rabbits will aim for the tummy/groin area when they kick in a fight and that could leave swealing/scratches.

Tam

I really hope she's ok. My bun Pippa has had lesions on her genital area in the past and the vet was worried it was myxi but it never developed into anything and I never got to the bottom of it. She still has mild lesions but doesn't seem affected by it and the vet isn't worried so I try not to be. Hopefully yours will be similar, maybe an infection or could it be a bite or lesion from another bunny?

Sending vibes for her and please keep us updated

Kathryn x

Squiffy said:
Jane - thanks for your response i appriciate it.

Squiffy is about 6 months old and has not been mated or come into contact with any rabbits other than my other two does.

She is a very healthy bunny and recieved complements re her health from the vet when they did the vaccination on 27th April.

I've read online that a vaccination must be 10% subcutaneous - to be honest, the vet injected so fast i wouldn't have noticed the needle going in twice. Are they pretty quick at doing that do you think, so much so that i wouldn't notice?

I have looked online and seen pics of the syphallis type you mention and it doesn't appear to look like that.

I do fear the worst, but am keeping fingers crossed for atypical strain. This is just awful as i'm such a good bunny mummy, I'd hate to think that it's my fault for not getting her vaccinated a little earlier in the year. To be honest, there has been little obvious evidence of myxi in this area for a few years and perhaps i was being a little slow in getting them done, not consciously of course, but i usually get them done each april/may ahead of the summer. Perhaps because of the warmer weather we've had in April things have sped up in wild populations with early appearance of flying biting insects and perhaps this is a sign that this year may be a problematic one all round?

Please everyone make sure your little dears are vaccinated asap.

I'm taking Squiffy to the vets at 8am and will keep you posted.

Any further advice or words of support from anyone would be really helpful!

Hazel x

Please do let us know how you get on at the Vets.
Myxi symptoms present about 4 days after infection. So IF it is Myxi I think your Bun will at least have some protection from the vaccination given 10 days ago.

Janex

:( I really hope it isn't myxi, fingers crossed for the little one :)

How is Squiffy in herself?

The first things I noticed when the last two caught it here were the eyes, droopy eyelids and then on examination the lesions on the genitals

Keep us updated :)

Thanks to all of you who have repiled.

I'm really trying to stay positive about this and just cope with whatever i need to do. I've been distracted of late as my cat recently broke her sacrum and tail in 3 places and is currently being cared for inside, so having a bunny in need of additional attention will max me out (why do these things always happen together?), but i'll be there whatever it takes.

I'll be keeping you informed - i guess if anything, it's a lesson to be learned for all of us. There's no going back so don't put off or get complacent on ensuring the best welfare for your buns before anything happens to them. For me, i think this is just really bad luck and bad timing re getting my vaccines done.

In herself Squiffy is her absolutely normal, cheeky self right now. No other obvious outward symptoms, eyes are absolutely fine so far, just the nasty looking swollen lady bits and on last count about 15 currently closed sores underneath at the lower belly.

I'll report back tomorrow on what the vets says and how things are developing.

I'll keep positive and hope, as Jane says, that the vaccine that HAS gone in gives her a good head start with this.

Thanks all for such a great website and supportive words.

Hazel x

15 sores, the poor love :(

There have been members on here who have nursed their rabbits through myxi successfully, it's not easy but it is possible if you're prepared to dedicate the coming weeks to her, so all is not lost if it is myxi, but I'm hoping it isn't. Good luck at the vets tomorrow

Kathryn x

Hi, I once rushed my rabbit to the vet's with a very swollen genital area, it was very large and sore looking. I remember the vets name for the condition was "hutch Burn". If I remember correctly, it was something to do with the shavings and straw.

To cut a long story short, my rabbit had an injection (sorry, I can't remember what), and had to have some cream on his genitals for a short while. Thankfully, my bun was back to normal in no time at all :D

xxx

Wishing you and Squiffy lots of luck for the Vets appointment this morning.

Your description of the sores does sound more like Treponamatosis. Of course without actually seeing them I can only guess. As previously mentioned Treponamatosis can be contracted at birth from Doe to Kit.
It is treatable (usually a weekly INJECTION of Penicillin for 3 weeks)

Really hoping Squiffy does NOT have Myxi

Janex

Hi all

Back from the vets.

He suspects it is the skin form of Myxi though couldn't rule out a reaction to the vaccine as a possibility though unlikely as that would prob have presented sooner.

Squiffy has a few new sores popping up today and one on her lip :-( Eyes ears and rest of face OK for now. I just hope she doesn't get too scarred as i've had atypical with bunnies before who got scabs on their eyes and noses which left scar tissue resulting in breathing problems afterwards. The sores downstairs have changed today, they look sorer and more scabby than yesterday, and her private parts also look v sore and now have lumps on too.

The vet said that the vaccine she had should cover her after just 7 days, they say up to 14 as an advisory precaution for the maximum cover, so hopefully this means she was vaccinatated just in the nick of time and that she will only suffer the atypical variety of this stinking virus. Not that it'll be an easy ride either way.

He has prescribed Baytril to prevent secondary infection and also Hibiscrub to wash the sores with.

Does anyone have any experience of using Hibiscrub for sores? It's basically a wash but does that mean i need to fully bath her each day or just the affected sores - ie. practically washing her fully anyway??? I've never washed Squiffy so that should be a treat, not. :shock:

Last time i treated atypical i was prescribed a viral treatment cream - apparently they don't do this now as it can spread and inflame the sores more than if they are just left. Better be itchy than more sores i guess? This is why he precribed the Hibiscrub instead to keep the infected skin clean.

Also, the vet advised that i seperate Squiffy from the other two bunnies just to be on the safe side and so not to over expose the other two unneccessarily. Obviously the biting insect has already happened so the other two would already have been exposed, the vet said it's just a precaution in case a flea on Squiffy is still about. I have to say i've never seen a single flea on my rabbits, so i expect it was a mozzy during recent warm nights? But who knows? What i really need to work out is SHOULD i seperate the bunnies or would it be best to leave them be? My instinct is to leave them, but i would never forgive myself if by doing so i put the others at any increased risk, especially one who is now quite elderly. What should i do bunny people? Listen to the vet? Listen to my instinct? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

In the meantime, i'll keep you all updated with progress. I guess this may be helpful to other bunny owners too?

Speak soon,

Hazel x
Rabbits_Little_rabbit_2_prv.gif

Sorry to hear that :( I have no idea what to do regarding seperating them but if it were mine I'd leave them together and take the risk, the others will have been exposed now anyway and the stress of seperation could make her worse. A tough call.

Sending vibes for her recovery xx

Oh dear I really had hoped for better news about Squiffy :(

Obviously we cant tell you to go against the advice of your Vet re seperating Squiffy from the others. All I can say is what I would do (totally unqualified opinion) I would keep the Buns together. The stress of being alone may put even more of a strain on an already challenged immune system.
I would only bathe the sores as having a wet Bunny every day is certainly not ideal. Did the Vet not prescribe an anti-inflammatory? If Squiffy feels sore her guts may slow down which is the last thing she needs.
I really hope that she will manage to fight the evil virus (Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh to think humans DELIBERATELY released it :x ). Hopefully the vaccine will have had some effect.

Please do keep us updated

Janex

I`m so sorry to hear about Squiffy :(

Please keep us updated as to how he gets on.

Have evrything crossed for you.

Su.x

HI. When Floss had nodular myxi last year my vet advised me against seperating her from Bournville as he considered it essential to minimise all stressful situations for her and felt that the risk to him was less than the potential for additional stress exacerbating her condition. Healing vibes for Squiffy and anti-stress ones for you.

This is odd... I've been to give Squiffy her Baytril and wash her sores this morning and her sores don't actually look any worse today. Also she hasn't developed any more that i can feel. Obviously i'll be continuing treatment and keeping a close eye on things, but wouldn't it be great if this is all we'll get? Talk about cuuting it fine getting her vaccinated. Even odder if it did turn out to be just a reaction to the vaccination? I won't be relaxing just yet but i'm keeping my fingers crossed and will update you all on progress.

Hazel x

Back