• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Friends

loobybabes

New Kit
I've recently got my first bunny, but I am concerned that she might be lonely as I go out to work during the day.

She comes in the house on a night time to play, but is in her hutch for the rest of the day. She does seem really happy on a night, as she binkies around an awful lot.

I don't want another rabbit, but wonder if it would be good to get guinea pig? Any advice on if they live well together?

Contrary to popular belief, bunnies and piggies don't really get along together, and can do each other harm.
Another bunny friend would be preferable. Is she spayed? If not, I would get her spayed and then get her a neuterd male friend. Some rescues do 'bunny dating' services, where you can take your bun along to see which one she prefers, adn they may even bond them for you.
Our house bunny lives on his own, but we are around 17 hours a day between us, so he has a lot of company. If my o/h didn't work at home, Squidgy would be on his own adn we would definitely get him a friend.

I won't say get a guinea pig with a rabbit as they are totally different species and the rabbit can easily hurt the guinea by kicking it.
Is there a reason why you don't want to get your bunny a bunny friend?

I'd say two rabbits are much easier to look after then one. They keep each other company and they don't tend to get into quite as much mischief.

Also Guinea Pigs have quite different food and care needs to a rabbit, they're not low maintenance at all.

FriskyClover said:
I'd say two rabbits are much easier to look after then one. They keep each other company and they don't tend to get into quite as much mischief.

whhhaaatttt? Less mischief? I swear my two egg each other on! :lol: (my poor carpet :cry:)

But they are much happier, contented buns with someone else to keep them entertained :)

eather get her a bunny friend or add a sucure run atached to her hutch or may be keep her in doors all the time confined to a room

Agree with all the above - I thought getting a second bunny would be a lot more work and didnt think I should get one - cos my girl was totally happy... but after being on here, got a new one - and now I know why she needed a mate...As much as we think we are , we cant be eerything that a bunny needs - and having 2 is not that much more hard work but definately ten times the pleasure.! I would never be with just one again I dont think.! :lol:

Yep, I agree!
I used to keep single buns years ago, but since my first pair were bonded I'd never look back - they are much happier with a bunny friend. :bunny:

Definately don't put a guinea pig with your bunny. They are completely different animals and more often that not the guinea pig gets bullied by the rabbit.

If you're still thinking of going down that route please call a rescue centre like "Cottontails" http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/ that rehomes rabbits and pigs, and they'll confirm that the two should not be put together, and has info on bonding rabbits. :D

FriskyClover said:

Could you tell Thumper and Lily this? :lol: Since we got Lily she is a mischief maker and all of Thumpers good manners ahve gone out the window!!! :lol:

Back