• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just saw a Flea!!

Missk

Young Bun
I just saw a flea on Miffy!
I've just sat her on my knee and combed her for about ten mins but can't find it or see any more.
She hasn't been scratching and i don't have any other animals so haven't a clu how it got there!
What shall i do?

Go to the vets and get a flea treatment. Does she get time in the garden coz she could have picket it up from outside if a cat or anything has been in there?

Dont use pet shop treatments though, they dont work too well :D

My old vet said to use "Revolution" for cats, but with 1/2 of dose. Revolution is from Australia and supposed to be better than advantage. Its not on label for Rabbits so I'm afraid to use it tho :oops:

Advantage is off label too, tho I think.

we have to get advantage from the vets..not on sale normally anywhere.

thinkive seen revolution online hold that thought!

here it is!

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=2_214_69

my cats have this and bifs nearly 3kg inw eight and she has the small cat one.berties 7kg (15lb) andhehas the big cat/dog one!

um just saw that advantage isnt availbale to US or AUS customers due to restrictions..they say use frontlne..um NEVER on abunny hey die! as for revolution ill trackthat down if i can..goes off again...

"Safe treatments to prevent and kill fleas on rabbits include Advantage (imidocloprid), Program (lufenuron) and Revolution (selamectin). The latter is preferred, as it is also effective against various types of mites that cause symptoms of mange, ear canker, and "dandruff" (which is often caused by fur mites in the genus Cheyletiella). These products are available from your rabbit-savvy veterinarian, who can explain dosage and treatment regimens to you at the time of prescription.
A flea comb is a non-toxic device that takes more patience, but is both physically and psychologically rewarding. Most rabbits learn to love the attention of being flea combed, and it can be used as a supplement to your main flea-control program."

im guessing its the same as advantages dosage

mm this site gives it in us dolalrs maybe try them to order from..they say dark green pack for buns under 4kg..for buns over 4kg use the aqua pack..
http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/prodsublist.cfm?group_no=2096&specie=dogs

We have had advantage for at least 10 years, as long as I've had my cat at least, It's from the vets, and by off-label, I mean that its for cats and dogs, and the vet prescribes 1/2 of a cat dose for rabbits even tho not designed for use on rabbits. I see the petstore site you attached says to use the puppy and small dog forumulation of advantage! I have been using advantage for cats all along, but bought packets of revolution a while ago, just have been afraid to try it. I'm so afraid to do any thing wrong because of how fragile buns are, and vets aren't always up on new things.
Thank you so much for the info on what the chemicals all are, that really helps to start my investigation into Revolution. I think I'll ask the online vet Dana Kempel about it! :D

Back