• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

next door's bunny

hannah

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,
some of you may remember a long time ago I told you about my neighbour's bunny and the poor state he was being kept in....anyways despite him now being an indoor bunny, things are still not great for him. They now have a dog as well and whilst everything is done for the dog, patch is left on his own. They have gone away on holiday and left me to look after the bun, she has been telling me for a month or so that they are going to take him to the vets to get his nails clipped, but when I went to see him they are curling as they are that long, I dont want to let him in the garden as I am terrified he will hurt his feet with the nails, that and he is very agressive as he gets little attention.

She has been on about giving him up to the lady in Aylesbury who runs a rescue next month, am going to speak to her and see if she will let him go this week. The poor thing must be so unhappy and a month is a long time to be stuck on his own! Wish me luck, will let you know how it goes

Hannah

hes too aggressive for me to be confident picking him up, hes not used to being held and charges/boxes me when i open his cage. last time i tried to pick his food bowl up to feed him, he bit me

Awww :( Maybe you could wrap him in a towel and poke each foot out at a time? Thats what I used to do with aggressive buns.

hannah said:
hes too aggressive for me to be confident picking him up, hes not used to being held and charges/boxes me when i open his cage. last time i tried to pick his food bowl up to feed him, he bit me

Him is probably a her :) You should find that once out of the hutch the aggression goes away. It sounds like territorial agression so anywhere neutral she would be fine.

It can be difficult to get them out the huutch. Throw a towel over them/the head to pick them up.

Tam

Noo noo, is definitely a him....quite obvious when he does get picked up. Finally managed to get his nails clipped, oh has the scratches to show for it, and he had a lovely hour outside in the sunshine roaming free

Wish it was, I spoke to her earlier and she has now decided she is keeping him, she must know he has a c**p life and coincidentally she had 'booked him in at the vets on tuesday for his nails' not sure i believe that. problem is, she is going to canada next month and I know she wants me to look after him, oh says i shouldnt - but i cant let the poor bun suffer anymore, what should i do?

Well done for doing his nails.

I dunno, if you say you won't look after him will she have anyone else to do it? If not maybe that'll force her into giving him up :?

Or depending on how good a friend she is, you could give her a harsh talking to about the neglect. Or introduce her to RU?

She is v spoilt and has always had her own way, I dont think a harsh talk will do it, will just mean she wont let me keep a check on him....i dont know, he could be such a sweet bunny if he was looked after - is easier to deal with outside his hutch than my two!!

he is very agressive as he gets little attention

Maybe she doesnt realise that this is a cycle? She prob doesnt enjoy interacting with him cos he's aggressive and so on...

Is it worth trying asking her if she ENJOYS having him as a pet - what she does and doesnt like. Then maybe you can help her find (ie, you suggest :wink:) solutions...? Or maybe she'll realise what she doesnt enjoy cant be changed so it's time to give him up to someone who can enjoy him.

I wouldnt be able to give up and leave them to it, as your OH says either. :?

This lady in Ayelsbury! ?
Doesnt happen to be Karen by any chance ? of rabbit ritz ? I really hope you get the bunny or that she will give the bunny up to someone that will actually care for him properly the poor thing.
If it is Karen he goes to, then I can promise you he will be well looked after.

yup it is karen of rabbit ritz - we take our bunnies there every time we go away (often as our families are up north) - she is fantastic and really cares for them - hi if u use her too, my two are archie and smokie, the escapologists :wave:

Hi Hannah. Hope Archie is still leading you a merry dance. I still have a soft spot for him. You were lucky i gave him to you :lol: :lol: :lol: As for the neighbour...difficult....am thinking :?

hey sooty

archie is fine, he says hello and sends bunny nose rubs (from their hidey hole under the bed) and he is very well and still very cheeky....the neighbour was initially offered the chance to give me patch (before archie) and after i got arch decided she should have taken me up on the offer - she needs to grow up quite frankly

Yuh Aunty Karen rocks!!!
well thats according to Snowflake and Isaac... Isaac came from her, and she did a fab job of bonding them.. I wouldnt let them go anywhere else.!
Snowflake is on her list of esccapologists to ! lol :lol: she must put something in there water

My two agree!!

Karen bonded Archie n Smokie for me and every time I go to pick them up, they dont want to come home!!

I was going to suggest something... but i wont as it is too contraversial. Instead :D
Contact the rspca... preferably when she is in Canada... ;), say the bun is being neglected.

I hate neighbours with bunnies. You feel so helpless and you just want to bunnynap them but you can't :(. I know how you feel, my mam's neighbours have just bought two rabbits for breeding and are living in a small hutch. I hate them.

Go on ....you can say it if you want, i dont mind! problem with contacting the rspca is i asked karen and she says if it has the basics probably wont do anything, ...other than detach me from keeping an eye on hm - I am the only one who knows how he is kept

I know I really shouldn't be encouraging this sort of thing, but... how about when she's in Canada you rehome the bunny yourself and then tell her that you're very sorry but the bunny died. With her lack of attention to this one I don't think she'd be likely to rush out and get another, she'll probably be relieved that she doesn't have to take care (in the loosest possible sense) of him anymore. :x

AMETHYST

Back