• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Posh hays so expensive

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I ordered thehayexperts sample bags and Audrey seems to like the Oat hay and Timothy hay the best but I just looked at the prices and they are SO expensive its ridiculous :?

I guess if it'll help her teeth it will be worth it but I wish there was a cheaper solution.

Do anyones bunns go mad for cheaper hays? Any reccomendations please? She doesn't particularily like the dustfree stuff so I won't order that again.

I've found that 99.9% of the bunnies we've had here..my own Thistle is the exception :roll: ..will eat the meadow hay I buy from our local feed supplier..it can vary but is usually quite green, long stranded and smells nice.
I've never had the need for fancy hays..although my friend has given me some to try and Thistle wouldn't eat them either! She is the only bunny who I've met who would starve herself rather than eat hay..so she has to have regualar dentals :(

Do you surround Audrey with hay Mandy? I find that rescue buns who arrive not eating it will nibble if it's everywhere!

No I don't cos she's indoors so she has vet bed, but when I was at the vets last week the vet did say it may help her hocks to be bedded on straw and hay, but I've stupidly left it all at work :roll: so can't use it yet. I got some stuff from Kennelgate which is more kind of bedding hay but maybe she'll like it if its all around.

Thanks Jill, maybe that'll help. I'd like to avoid buying the expensive hays if possible :?

honeybunny said:
I've found that 99.9% of the bunnies we've had here..my own Thistle is the exception :roll: ..will eat the meadow hay I buy from our local feed supplier..it can vary but is usually quite green, long stranded and smells nice.
I've never had the need for fancy hays..although my friend has given me some to try and Thistle wouldn't eat them either! She is the only bunny who I've met who would starve herself rather than eat hay..so she has to have regualar dentals :(

Do you surround Audrey with hay Mandy? I find that rescue buns who arrive not eating it will nibble if it's everywhere!

That's interesting Jill, I find that too!!, but then it becomes soiled so quickly and they don't have fresh hay, I also find that a lot of buns wont eat hay from hay ricks that I put up everywhere, any ideas on how to get a fresh supply at ground level?

I use the bales you buy on bulk too and all of mine seem to like it - the other stuff I give them is called "just grass" and they hoover that - don't know if it's worth trying Audrey on that Mandy? I get 15kg for £7.50 so it's not expensive.

chloaster said:
I use the bales you buy on bulk too and all of mine seem to like it - the other stuff I give them is called "just grass" and they hoover that - don't know if it's worth trying Audrey on that Mandy? I get 15kg for £7.50 so it's not expensive.

Thanks Chloe, I did get her some of that excel forage and she really loves it, but I was told on here not to give too much as it's higher protein than hay :?

mandy said:
chloaster said:

Thats Chloe, I did get her some of that excel forage and she really loves it, but I was told on here not to give too much as it's higher protein than hay :?

Oh boy!, I wish we could have a sticky that tells us which hay contains what and the price per kg, anyone know of a moderator that would make a sticky of this very useful information?? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mine wont really eat much meadow hay, but I usually buy a bag of timothy hay or oat hay and mix it with a bag of meadow hay and put that in the litter trays, and I get those empty baskets from the hay experts and put a few baskets of hay around for them. They dont really touch the hay in the hay racks that are attached to the side of the runs and hutches :roll:

I fill their sleeping parts up with meadow hay but they dont eat any of that. I do find the expensive hay lasts longer when mixed with cheap hay though because if they know there is a bit of oat or timothy hay in there they usually eat the lot :lol:

snowy said:
mandy said:
chloaster said:

Thats Chloe, I did get her some of that excel forage and she really loves it, but I was told on here not to give too much as it's higher protein than hay :?

Oh boy!, I wish we could have a sticky that tells us which hay contains what and the price per kg, anyone know of a moderator that would make a sticky of this very useful information?? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Cheeky :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah I guess we could start one for reccomended hays or something?

sillyrabbit said:
Mine wont really eat much meadow hay, but I usually buy a bag of timothy hay or oat hay and mix it with a bag of meadow hay and put that in the litter trays, and I get those empty baskets from the hay experts and put a few baskets of hay around for them. They dont really touch the hay in the hay racks that are attached to the side of the runs and hutches :roll:

I fill their sleeping parts up with meadow hay but they dont eat any of that. I do find the expensive hay lasts longer when mixed with cheap hay though because if they know there is a bit of oat or timothy hay in there they usually eat the lot :lol:

Oooh thats a good idea Becky thank you. Maybe I'll get a small bag of oat or timothy to start off then.

We buy hay by the bale at £4. It last us about a month with the 10 rabbits. They all eat it whether we hang it up or put it in the litter trays.

They get fresh every night on top of whats left over from yesterday and so they all tend to sleep in the litter trays,(which are actually those plastic dog beds) although there are so many litter trays none get dirty quickly.

We used to buy hay by the bag before we could justify a bale and that always seems more dusty, even the dust free stuff.

Maria

Our buns only like the big hay bags from Kennelgate. We've tried lots of different ones but they prefer this one. They seem to like it more if it's long and stalky. I occaisionaly get them the ready grass but at the moment they eat the grass on the garden. Dandelion's not a big hay eater but since i started putting in the litter tray on top of the megazorb he seems to eat more. They don't like the hay racks either every morning the rack is on the floor and the hay is everywhere!

Do any of you folks that buy your hay in bulk/bales etc ever have problems with hay mites?

We had a bale given to us by a neighbour last year from her stables and it turned out to be RIDDLED with mites, so I've never dared trust bulk buying again, except from bunnybasics where I pay £40.ish for 14 kilos, wish I could get it cheaper :?

Suzanne said:
Our buns only like the big hay bags from Kennelgate. We've tried lots of different ones but they prefer this one. They seem to like it more if it's long and stalky. I occaisionaly get them the ready grass but at the moment they eat the grass on the garden. Dandelion's not a big hay eater but since i started putting in the litter tray on top of the megazorb he seems to eat more. They don't like the hay racks either every morning the rack is on the floor and the hay is everywhere!

That is the stuff I got for Audrey, hope she might like it then :)

Hi hope you don't mind me jumping in here too with my hay questions :oops: Jill can I ask where you get your hay from (is it far from Derby) I'm in the same boat as I can't seem to find 'the one' and I really want to encourage Gabbie to eat more (she is getting better bless her) Sylvie will eat anything thankfully.This hay problem is starting to take over I'm now dreaming about the stuff!! :oops: :D

i buy a bale of meadow hay from a local merchant.. funny you ask suzi.. as Simba is on his 3rd mite treatment in the last year so dunno if its from they hay or not as the other two have never had any problems with mites :? they all love this hay and i buy a small bale of timothy hay and bag of dried grass from bunnybasics to give them a handful of something else each day.. they love 2nd cut timothy hay and it smells gorgeous.
To keep it clean and lowdown i put it in toilet roll tubes, a grass ball, and a rollin the hay ball as well as all the litter trays :D

I think I'm quite lucky because mine have always been happy with the generic stuff from Kennelgate. However, probably due to the season change, it seems richer at the moment with lots of lovely bits in it and I practically can't keep up with them, they love it so much. Good bunnies :D

Thats good to know they like it! I haven't given it to Audrey before so you never know that might be the solution!

mine eat any type and every type of hay they will happily munch on the very cheap bale of meadow hay but they will also gobble down the expensive hays. (mine arent fussy though they also eat 'all' the hay from their tray even the bits covered in wee wees :shock: :shock: :? )

i put hay in as many places as possible to encourage them to eat they have it in big boxes which they can sit in and their litter tray and in a basket and in their hay rack (which is actually one of those long flower baskets that you hang on the wall) which they either eat from underneath or more likely sit in :roll:

could you buy the expensive hay and mix in with cheap hay to make it go further and she may also eat the cheap hay 'accidently' :wink:

also have you got a pet shop that sells Burns pet food - their green oat hay is only 2.99 and is 900g i think too!!

Back