• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grass cuttings

my neighbours have complained about the state of my garden...time to cut the grass

seems such a waste to dump the grass cuttings and buy a bale of hay to feed the bunnies

is there any danger if I feed cuttings to the rabs ?

they normally get some grass whenever they escape from their pen so they are used to it

I think the problem with grass cuttings is that they get contaminated with the oil on the blades. Also, isn't a bit like with horses that they ferment in the animal?

The problem is that when the cuttings are left in a heap they begin to heat up and forment. However, a couple of handfuls given right away is fine. You could spread it around and let it dry out before feeding them..just like hay!

due to the length of the grass, I am gonna use a strimmer with a nylon strip, so there isn't an oiled blade as in a lawn mower

in terms of fermenting how would hand cut grass be different to strimmed grass, does that mean any fresh grass is bad for rabs ?

It's the 'mulching' up of it, as well as mixing with different weeds etc, that are bad. Freshly picked grass is fine.

piningforarabbit said:
my neighbours have complained about the state of my garden...time to cut the grass

seems such a waste to dump the grass cuttings and buy a bale of hay to feed the bunnies

is there any danger if I feed cuttings to the rabs ?

they normally get some grass whenever they escape from their pen so they are used to it
I think hay is harvested only when it becomes hay, and not when its still grass, if that makes any sense!
I think grass cuttings are supposed to be fed in real moderation,
whereas hay should be unlimited.

I would go around and hand pick the grass, this will make it easier to mow too, and you can be sure no risk to the bunnies. Please don't feed cut grass to them its not good for their little bellies :roll:

tupperwarequeen said:
I would go around and hand pick the grass, this will make it easier to mow too, and you can be sure no risk to the bunnies. Please don't feed cut grass to them its not good for their little bellies :roll:
Even if nylon cut, not metal? If so, is it because hand picking is selected more carefully or is there oil in the nylon electric trimmers too?

I think it's because the lawn mower mushes it up too much. Kinda like if we put our food in a blender. Plus any weeds/pollutants etc will be all mixed in with it. I reckon you should be ok with a strimmer though..?

tupperwarequeen said:

don't worry...hand picked for the time being...cutting the grass is easier said than done :wink: :oops: :roll:

Back