• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help req urgently another bunny with bloat

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
lost one last night, went to feed the 3 others this morning and they were all out of the cage. one however does not want any food and there is evidence of a small amount of green runny poo.

just like the one that died last night.

can i treat this? my vets aren't open till 10

Can you get him to an emergency vet? Rabbits go downhill so quickly unless you really know what you're doing he needs to see a vet asap. Hope he pulls through ok.x

I'm near where you are. Get down to the vets at 10, if it's the surgery I think, you don't need an appointment. In the mean time can you syringe feed? Either grind some of their pellets or use vegetable/fruit based baby food.

I'd take a sample of poo with you if you can. And, I'd also take the other bunnies with you, if it is an infectious disease they may need treatment too, you'll only pay one consultation fee anyway.

If you need to go to the emergency vets in Northampton, it is cheaper if you get referred there by your own vet.

Good luck

I posted this in your other thread :

Unfortunately they are approaching the really high risk time as their 'healthy' gut bacteria is not yet established giving the 'bad bacteria', particularly clostridium spiriforme, the opportunity to take over. This can lead to muccoid enteritis and subsequent septicaemia (as the toxins from the guts are absorbed into the bloodstream)
If you have a healthy adult Rabbit that you could harvest some caecotrophs from and mix them into the remaining babies feeds it would be the best way to try to establish some healthy gut flora in the babies. Its a bit gross, but harvested caecotrophs can be lifesavers.

I really hope the sick baby will make it................

Janex

cant syringe feed emergency vets have said get him to vets at 10 as will need fluids still massaging tummy typing one fingered here! definitlely seems like bloat muccoid enteritis

Oh that's horrible, I lost a bunny to that.

Hopefully the vet will be able to help. I hope things get better.

Hugs

FC

bunny has been vets, i have been given some fibreplex and some baytrill in case of emergency.

given him a tiny amount of fibreplex and massaged his tummy with warm water.

if anyone can offer anymore advice about this would be very grateful. can't believe what a small amount i need to use of this fibreplex stuff!

Did the Vet give baby any fluids? Dehydration happens very rapidly with a baby Bun that has diarrhoea. I would also provide him/her with a heatpad (snugglesafe or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel) Did the vet administer any analgesia? Bloat is painful and pain will mean baby cant retain his/her body temperature.
I still say feeding baby the caecotrophs harvested from a healthy adult rabbit is essential.

Cant understand why oral antibiotics have been prescribed for a baby Bun with diarrhoea/bloat .... :?

Janex

Cant understand why oral antibiotics have been prescribed for a baby Bun with diarrhoea/bloat ....

the vet said hopefully we won't need to use it but just incase....

suzynick said:
Cant understand why oral antibiotics have been prescribed for a baby Bun with diarrhoea/bloat ....

the vet said hopefully we won't need to use it but just incase....

:shock: :shock: :shock: gosh!, I can't understand the oral antibiotics either.

Must stress and reiterate what Jane has told you, harvesting caecotrophs from a healthy adult bunny is a LIFESAVER, please try it.

Good luck

Which vet did you see? There are some really good rabbit vets there but there is also sometimes a locum.

I agree with the healthy caecotrophs comment too.

Back