• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sam - please read - a warning

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Firstly I would like to say thank you to everyone for their support this last week, for the lovely pm's I received and for you who have been on the end of the phone.x
Please don't read this if you are easily upset, just skip to the end and read the bit in bold ..........

Sam, Lenny and Harry had white snot snuffles, so I took them to the vet and they were put on a five day course of Baytril. After the five days, Lenny and Harry were looking a lot better but still had wet noses but Sam still had the white snot. I rang my vet and had a chat with her about the next course of action and she gave me two choices - Zithromax or Micotil. I have used Zithromax before with Bilbo, it is a very expensive course of treatment (£36) and involves 9days of syringe application and although it seemed to initially knock the symptoms on the head with Bilbo they always came back. Micotil, the vet told me, is not a licensed rabbit drug but recommended as a solution for snuffles. She told me it wasn't that widely used but she had been to a conference recently and they had said it was a viable treatment. I asked what the side affects could be and she said worse case scenario would be diarrhea and the implications of that with rabbits. I chose this course, I had 4days off work so if the worst happened I would be around to treat and feed if necessary.

Tuesday, May 1st, I took Lenny, Harry and Sam to the vets and they had their shots and I drove home. One of the rabbits was scratching around some of the way home, but when I called out to them and told them we'd be home soon they'd stop. When I did get home, Sam was lying in his carrier and I knew he wasn't right. I picked him up and he was floppy in my arms. My husband took him off me as I went to check Lenny and Harry who seemed to be ok. I let them out in the garden and they ran off, but Sam was fitting in Andy's arms. I got on the phone to the vet with Sam gasping and crying out in Andy's arms and he died whilst I was trying to get through to her. I now know that the scratching around was actually Sam fitting on the way home. The drug hit him that fast that he didn't last half an hour. I never got the chance to do anything for him and even if I had known he was fitting the vet wouldn't have been able to save him if I'd been able to turn round and get him back. The next few days I was on edge, watching Harry and Lenny for any signs of anything. They hate me at the moment, they are that sick of being poked, picked up and prodded but I am accepting now that they are going to be ok and starting to relax. Losing a bun at any time is hard enough, but knowing they went before their time is particuarly heartbreaking and hard to come to terms with. I still cut up veg for my 13 fat fluffs and still expect Sam to just be there in the garden but he is never coming back.

The purpose of this thread is to let you know what happened to Sam but also to serve as a warning and it is not in anyway to apportion blame -

Please, please, please do not let your vet treat your rabbit with Micotil. It hasn't cured Lenny or Harry and it killed my Sammy.

Please try and find an alternative solution, ask around and get advice from others on here; this drug may be recommended and it hasn't harmed Lenny or Harry but 2 out of 3 is far far from good enough and I've lost a very special and much loved rabbit as a result. But, if I can help prevent anyone else going through what Andy and I went through, then something good can come of it.

Good grief Chloe and Andy I am so, so sorry :cry:

I know Micotil can be fatal to horses (it effects their heart). Now I know I will NEVER risk it should a Vet suggest it as treatment for a Bunny.

:cry: :cry:

Janex

That's terrible :( I'm so sorry, poor Sam :(

Have you asked the vet to contact the relevant people as it obviously shouldn't be used for rabbits at all

Kayjay, I spoke to her on the day Sam died and she said something about underlying conditions and some other stuff but I was too upset to listen or make any sensible response. I did say I would let her know how Lenny and Harry did which I haven't done as yet but when I do I will be telling her in no uncertain terms never to use the drug on rabbits again and to tell the people who have been recommending it the same and the consequences that can occur.

I didn't know that Jane, maybe that's what it did to Sammy :cry:

I am so sorry Chloe, what happen to Sammy is dreadful, but thank you for posting this warning for everyone.

chloaster said:
Kayjay, I spoke to her on the day Sam died and she said something about underlying conditions and some other stuff but I was too upset to listen or make any sensible response. I did say I would let her know how Lenny and Harry did which I haven't done as yet but when I do I will be telling her in no uncertain terms never to use the drug on rabbits again and to tell the people who have been recommending it the same and the consequences that can occur.

I didn't know that Jane, maybe that's what it did to Sammy :cry:

It enters directly into the cardiovascular system. So if there were already an underlying but undiagnosed heart defect a fatal adverse reaction occurs. It can also kill humans if accidentally injected and should NEVER be administered intravenously in any species

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Elanco_Animal_Health/Micotil/-27175.html

I will pass on your warning to Christobel and the RWA Vet
By you telling us what happened to Sam may well prevent further tragedies, although that's probably little comfort to you and Andy.. :cry:

Janex

Chloe I can't add anymore to what I've already said on the phone.
Brave of you to post this warning when you are feeling so low.

No comfort to you but as Jane has said, perhaps Sam will save many other bunny lives by you posting this sad news.

I am surprised this particular vet used a drug with questionable side effects...

Take care hugs to you and Andy xxxxxx

Oh Chloe, how awful for you. You and Andy are wonderful bunny parents, and you put your trust in your vet. You must be feeling terrible for the loss of Sammy, but you did your very best for him.

take care......if you still have my number feel free to give me a callxxxx

I`m so sorry Chloe :cry: :cry: :cry:

But `Thankyou` for posting this warning to the rest of us when you`re understandably still hurting sooooo much.

Take care,
Su.x

I'm so so sorry to hear this. Thank you for the warning.
Sending you lots of hugs.

Chloe I am so very sorry I admire you for being brave enough to post all this to warn others that just shows what a big heart you have :love:

I am thinking of you and cant imagine how you feel as losing a bun in this way it must be going round and round in your head - thinking of you and sending some vibes to Lenny and Harry anyway XXXXXXXXXXX

I am so very sorry to hear this Chloe, my heart goes out to you. Thank goodness the other two bunnies seam to be ok.
I have had several bunnies with pastuerrella and they have all responded best to Septrin anti-biotic and Bisolvin for helping to break down the snot and make it runny so it cleared from the nose. One bunny, Angus who was in a dreradful state with this when he arrived is now completely well, but it did take a couple of years of treatment. I used to get up in the night to give him his Bislovin when I heard him snuffling and sneezing realy bad.

Back