• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

messy bum u/d

zoey-blogs

Warren Scout
maisys got a very messy bum....iv tried babywipes but doesnt seem to work.....its all clumped togetha, iv managed to get most of it out, anyone any ideas how i cud clean the rest....do i have to resort to a bath?

bath

if it is really bad, i sometimes cut off the offending furr, providing it want make the Bunny Bald, but otherwise i sit them down in a bowl of warm water about 1 inch deep and wash it away.

When Warren had a mucky bum bum I took him to the dog grooming place. They have the right tools for removing matted fur and poops. Maybe you could ring a few up and see if they could have a look?

apparently bathing makes it harder to get out, and the bunny will not like being wet!! :D

I think you have to sort out WHY Maisy is getting a mucky bum. What dried feed are you giving her and how much. If she is not eating her caecotrophs it may be that her diet is too high in protein and carbohydrates with not enough fibre. So try cutting down on her dried feed to get her to fill up on hay.
Rabbits with Dental problems often get a mucky bum so that's another issue to consider. Also, any sort of mobility problem such as that caused by arthritis makes it difficult for a bun to eat their caecotrophs.

As for cleaning her up then if the poo is well and truely matted into her fur you may need to trim the worst of it off using round ended scissors. Obviously this needs to be done with extreme care. Once you have got the matted fur and poo off you can then wash her bum using a mild hypo-allergenic baby shampoo. Dont use too much shampoo as the dense fur of rabbits means rinsing it out takes ages.

Janex

jane you have hit it onthe nose again!
yes feed is another main issue for getting mud butt!
Another one is dental problems..and the third one is having a fat bunny who cannot get downthere and reach to eat those squishy poos..
or as it is inbifs case a little of weight but mainly stress and particulary after she got illwith her oscar withit suddenly one evening and he died and she lived and thevets were convinced she was dying of cancer!

try taking away all veggies and fruits and treats..and all the food and putting bun on an al hay diet eevryday fr atleast afortnight and also provide them witha tube of fibreplex.the added fibre and proboitc in a carrot paste form does wonders with the hay diet..
is the soft poos more than noral poos..and are the normal poos big and wel formed and in huge anounts?

when oscar used to get GI stasis he would get mud butt terrible and tiny tiny hard poos...

have you changed bunsters diet ir fed new veg or fruit?

hi thanks ppl and sorrys its taken a while for me to reply.

iv only had maisy a week. whn she arrived she was eating and pooing fine...but after 2 days shes hardly eaten i took her to the vets on wednesday and told the vet tht shes not eaten for a day or 2 but was drinkin and he said not worry shes just settling in, its not saturday morning shes still not eaten so im takin her bk to the vets....as for her die v been giving her a few pellets on a morning and the rest of the day hay, like i do with the utha buns.

ill post once im bk frm the vets

Try asking the shop where you got her what she was fed before.
She made need more food than a few pellets if she is still young...
also depending on her age may not have been weaned properly.

Hoping she is ok!

i didnt get her from a shop she was ditchd in my mums friends back garden....

iv been to the vets and because she is so youg and not eating the next 24hours is crutial....her weight has droppd, thevets has given her 3 injections and she has several different medicines too, because shes not been eating im now syringe feeding her every 2 hours, the vet says shes lucky to still be with us, the only thingthts saved her is the fact that she has been drinking......fingers crossed hey! iv seen her sniffin at hay just wish shed pick it up!

thought i would let you all now little maisy died this afternoon, i stayed up all nite nursing her. this morning she seemed better had nibbled a lil bit on her own i popped out for an hour to pick my niece up and came home to find shed left us.......RIP maisy,,,,such a pitty she had only a short life

I'm so sorry to hear about Maisie! You did everything you could for her and took her to the Vets, so don't blame yourself. Claire x

thanks all xxxx

wev burried her in the garden and she has a little cross with one of her fav toys......shes the first ever animal iv had thts died........

Back