• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question regarding flystrike - what am i looking for?

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I could have sworn id already posted this... but it has disappeared..

Anyway with regards to flystrike, Jill has kindly shown me how to check the bums and what not... and this gets done every day... however i am not really sure what i am looking for... Their bums look very clean, very rarely there may be a bit of dry poop, but i try to remove that.

What would these eggs look like as in shape and size and colour? and is there a easier way or removing small bits of dry poo?

Their bums look very clean - im just paranoid...

Oh and please dont link me to any website showing buns with full blown flystrike... i wouldnt be able to take that. - eggs are fine though...

joanne xx

You won't see the eggs they are so tiny.

Try treating them as a precaution, rearguard from the vet and fly away from Pets at Home, the one from Pats at Home is a lot cheaper and goes a lot further.

Flies are attracted by smell so if they can smell urine on the fur or mucky poo then they will aim for that

Hope this helps

flystrike

Keep a look out for dirty or wet bottoms as the flies will be attracted to this :( :evil: but they will lay eggs (they are tiny little white things like small grains of rice, if you put out some meat then check later you may see them on that) on clean fur as well :shock: :evil: just keep a close watch on any of your buns who may be hutched or ick or elderly as these are the ones who are most prone to attack :shock: :(
I spray my bunnies bottoms every day with Dynamite & if they have messy bums then i put vet powder on them as well just to make sure :(

Re: flystrike

rabshan said:
Keep a look out for dirty or wet bottoms as the flies will be attracted to this :( :evil: but they will lay eggs (they are tiny little white things like small grains of rice, if you put out some meat then check later you may see them on that) on clean fur as well :shock: :evil: just keep a close watch on any of your buns who may be hutched or ick or elderly as these are the ones who are most prone to attack :shock: :(
I spray my bunnies bottoms every day with Dynamite & if they have messy bums then i put vet powder on them as well just to make sure :(

What is Dynamite? Is it like rearguard but daily use?

Im not too keen on using rearguard or putting chemicals on their bums. I am concerned though, that i might miss something. Theyre all healthy, not overweight... and their bums look clean.

oscarbunny said:
Im not too keen on using rearguard or putting chemicals on their bums. I am concerned though, that i might miss something. Theyre all healthy, not overweight... and their bums look clean.

I think I've read that if their bums are clean it is very unlikely flystrike will occur but obviously still check them daily.

My new bunny has a mucky bum which is improving with diet and his bum's been shaved too to help the situation, but I wondered if a spray might help for him

I did get something last year that was a natural repellent, but I can't remember what it was called :roll:

This is what the eggs look like:

flyeggs.jpg

I can't remember who posted this pic originally but all credit to them :thumb:

Back