• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover and Dusty - update

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Remember the constant GI stasis nightmare of my 2 bunnies? Well, the situation at the moment is that my vet is away for 2 weeks (10 days or so now, I guess), so my aim at the very least is to 'keep them going' till he gets back.

Clover has bounced back really well from her latest bout, although is still on metacam, but Dusty is still on metoclopramide and metacam. She's not eating as much hay as Clover, but is still eating her pellets (just not as fast as usual), but her poos are fairly small and sparse, not to mention unpredictable. This has been going on for about a week now, so it's not an emergency.

But my biggest worry is that her tummy constantly feels bloated/tight in comparison to Clover's. I am tempted to ask the useless vet who is covering for some Prepulsid, but whether they will give me enough I don't know, or give it to me without seeing her. I really don't want to put her through the stress of a visit to the useless vet where all I will do is ask for some Prepulsid and some more Metoclop and Metacam!

I've ordered some green oat hay from Bunny Basics today, in the hope that it will tempt Dusty to eat more hay. Am also going to get some Alpine hay, as she seems to enjoy that.

I'm also syringing probiotic into both of them once a day, but they hate it, and let most of it drip out of their mouths!!

Any more thoughts anyone?? Thanks :)

As both Buns have had quite a lot of oral metacam I dont know if the Vet might want to consider an anti GI ulcer medication (Ranitidine or Cimetidine) Just 12 hours of not eating or longterm NSAID (Metacam) treatment puts Buns at risk of GI Ulceration.
As you are syringing the probiotic once a day I'd go for FIBREPLEX

http://www.protexin.com/vet/product.php?id=21

I really hope your girls will stop having so many GI problems

Janex

Oh that looks good, Jane - thanks, I'll get some. :)

I'm worried about the long term Metacam too. I'm trying to cut Clover down at the moment, but far too risky to stop with Dusty.

I can sympathise, I've had my own GI Stasis saga this week. I'm in the vets so often, they know me on sight!

I've found that mixing a few of their pellets in with the liquid feed helps. I also find that mixing a bit of fruit puree with the probiotic helps to disguise the taste (I use the 'Peter Rabbit' one, they come in a resealable pouch).

Good luck, GI problems are a flaming nightmare.

FC

Hi there. Glad things are relatively stable at the mo and continue to wish Dusty a speedy recovery. I would definitely vouch for the anti ulcer meds. My bunnies get Zantac twice daily orally at these times.

Don't know what to do about the bloated tummy though, except maybe another painkiller would help too. My vet allowed me to give vetergesic injections as and when necessary and it helped. Its got a slight sedative effect though, but helps relax all the little muscles.

Come on Dusty, you can do it.

Hopefully you can get the prepulsid sorted too.

Fiona x

Couple of questions to you lovely people today!

The Fibreplex I ordered has arrived today. :) Why does it say to only use for 2 days? I would have thought I'd need to use it for longer

Fiona - does your vet prescribe the Zantac or do you get it yourself? It's not something I'd come across up to now, and I'm worried that the Metacam might be making Dusty worse.

Hi there Sarah. My vet prescribes the Zantac syrup but did tell me that it is exactly the same stuff that you can buy 'off the shelf'. I had trouble finding it at the time and was running about so much with the buns that I just got it from him. But I did notice it when I was in the chemist the other day.

My buns didn't seem to mind it at all, has an aniseed smell to it. Obviously you can check with the vet, but I gave mines 0.5mls twice a say (my buns weigh approx. 2 - 2.4kg)

Yes the Metacam is a worry as its so strong but anti-ulcer meds should work, or you could speak about a different painkiller.

Wishing you all the best, how is Dusty doing now?

Fiona x

Thanks Fiona - I'm going to look into it. :) Dusty is... same really. She is producing poos and still eating, but less than Clover on both counts. I had some green oat hay turn up yesterday, which she absolutely loves. Typically, Clover doesn't - they never like the same stuff!! I'm also feeding her some hay pellets, which seem to be helping to bulk out the poos a bit.

How are your bunnies?

Been doing a search online and can't find Zantac liquid or syrup - they seem to be phasing it out by introducing effervescent tablets. :?

Have requested prepulsid from the vets... here's hoping they do it for me (I know they have some).

SarahP said:
Been doing a search online and can't find Zantac liquid or syrup - they seem to be phasing it out by introducing effervescent tablets. :?

It's a paediatric prescription med. Your Vet could do a prescription for you to take to a Pharmacy who can obtain it for you. Under the Department of Trade and Industry order, during the three years from 31 October 2005 a veterinary surgeon may NOT charge a client a fee for providing a prescription.

Janex :)

Jack's-Jane said:
SarahP said:

It's a paediatric prescription med. Your Vet could do a prescription for you to take to a Pharmacy who can obtain it for you. Under the Department of Trade and Industry order, during the three years from 31 October 2005 a veterinary surgeon may NOT charge a client a fee for providing a prescription.

Janex :)

Ah I see.... damn, it'll have to wait till my vet returns from his holiday then. :( Why oh why are they allowed to go on holiday??!! If I ask the other vet for it she'll look at me like I'm insane, and just patronise me and say I'm talking rubbish.

with my last rabbit Little Happy, I have find that every after he somewhat fully recover from GI stasis due to lack of fiber, that metoclopramide is only useful w/i the first 5 - 7 days or so. In other words, eventhough there is some sound in his system, I stopped the metoclopramide and let him gain the diet on his own. Eventually everything moved back to normal.

Keep us posted

mm the fibre plex is confusing when it says that..tobehonest it depends on how much your buny weighs!!
If you can give enough for a week in gi probs...

i have got another tube as bifs poos are a bit smaller again and iwont be slow to treat her as its been the bane of her life and almosther death..stress and shock instigagetd hers and made it so much worse..they need bunny valium!1

ooh yes the metacams a big no no now..and anti ulcer meds ideal..um holdon checking for it online...runs off page...

ok i give up has anyone found any online anywhere!!/?
the earest thing i foudn was GAVILAST SYRUP1

wet greens herbs etc and hay but you may find wet spring greens..wet rocket..watercress..coriander..etc is more tempting little and often which is the nest way to tempt therit ums to work with htis awful problem..

wishing you all the best and hoping you have a lucky break soon.x

Thanks for all your support guys. :) Just to update, I have managed to get hold of some Prepulsid, which has really helped Dusty with the bloating, and suddenly loads of poos have arrived (yayyyyyy!!!!) Have also switched them back to Science Selective, as they can't resist that.

One more week till my vet gets back.....

Back