• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues information please

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok i have been thinking about doing this for a long time. there is no rescue centre in dumfries and galloway specifically for rabbits, there is Mossburn animal centre but they take in all sorts from the tiny to the huge. I was thinking about starting a small rescue and i mean small but also helping people to rehome there pets themselves without going through free ads, and also try and provide a bit of bunny knowledge in my area. what i want to know is how on earth would i go about doing this???

Give your phone number to a few local vets. I'm sure they'll pass it on (mine s*dding do & I'm not rescuing :shock: :lol: ).

Make sure you got enough funds for the sick bunsters though or the dumped ones you might not expect

Angie65 said:
Give your phone number to a few local vets. I'm sure they'll pass it on (mine s*dding do & I'm not rescuing :shock: :lol: ).

Make sure you got enough funds for the sick bunsters though or the dumped ones you might not expect

Thanks Angie this is why im thinking as in a couple of months time i will have the funds and will have the spare accomodation, and i figure why not, there better off with me than being set free in the wild!

Sorry I don't have any advice, but good luck!

I'm in Ayrshire and I'm always struck by how few rabbit rescues there are up here compared with England (although wouldn't it be fab if there were no need for any!) There are a couple I know about in the east but none as far as I know near here at all (only SSPCA centres).

Anyway, will be interested to hear how it goes. Lots of luck :)

Phill I would like to just wish you luck and you will be brill at it :D :D

Sorry I havent a clue where to start :oops: :oops:

Angie65 said:

Lol....Mine do the opposite, they find homes for me! One of our buns was in recovery from a castrate the other day and they took an old client to see him as they were thinking of getting some new rabbits!

The RWF website has lots of good links for PDF format downloadable leaflets full of useful advice to give to new owners :D

Thanks Guys, do any rescues have hand over forms and adoption forms i could adapt for my own use?

Hi Phil..my formas are basic but clear if you pm me your e mail add I send them to you :D
..don't give your address out too freely or you will be coping with bunnies dumped on your doorstep...
Also set out your own clear policies before you start ..
Good luck ! x

Great news Phill 8) The rabs need you :D

honeybunny said:
Hi Phil..my formas are basic but clear if you pm me your e mail add I send them to you :D
..don't give your address out too freely or you will be coping with bunnies dumped on your doorstep...
Also set out your own clear policies before you start ..
Good luck ! x

I started off with Jill's forms too :D

But despite my address being freely available I am yet to have any rabbits, or guinea pigs, dumped on the doorstep, so don't worry too much about that. (touches wood franticly because now is not the time for it to start :roll:) They arrive quite quickly enough without that happening believe me :roll:

Quick question sorry for hijacking the thread Phill!

How do rescues afford the constant vet bills? Some of you seem to have huge numbers of neutered/vaccinated rabbits as well a ones that require veterinary treatment.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem accommodation/feeding/bedding wise but as far as vet bills go I would be extremely limited in numbers.

Louise

Ellepotter said"How do rescues afford the constant vet bills? "

we don't eat! :lol:
Seriously though you have to be prepared to finance a lot yourself..and be ready for unexpected bills...such as last week poor Chocolate cost us £141 before he'd even got here :shock: :(
It's an ongoing problem....

honeybunny said:
Ellepotter said"How do rescues afford the constant vet bills? "

we don't eat! :lol:
Seriously though you have to be prepared to finance a lot yourself..and be ready for unexpected bills...such as last week poor Chocolate cost us £141 before he'd even got here :shock: :(
It's an ongoing problem....

Im prepared for the vets bills nothing could shock me after this years bill for my lot on there own. I wouldn't be able to take huge amounts of buns not with 20 of my own and limited hutch space so i should be alright and be able to pick up the extra myself.

Aww Phill, I think it's a great idea. I was saying to the O/h that there wasn't any rescues in the area for buns apart from Mossburn :thumb:

icklep360 said:
Aww Phill, I think it's a great idea. I was saying to the O/h that there wasn't any rescues in the area for buns apart from Mossburn :thumb:

As far as i know mossburn doesn't take in any buns anymore??? :?

ellepotter said:
I certainly wouldn't have a problem accommodation/feeding/bedding wise but as far as vet bills go I would be extremely limited in numbers.

Louise

I'm the same. One more mouth to feed doesn't make much difference (unless bun eats like my Joey :shock: :roll: ) but one sick bun & all my buns vaccinations wiped me out last month (plus New York :oops: :lol: ) & it's gonna take me months to recover :lol:

ellepotter said:
Jill do you rely on the adoption donations to keep things going?

Louise

Yep..and we have kind people who foster for us and they all provide the food which is great of them :D
We also have the odd donation of a bag of pellets etc.
People give us stuff to sell at boot sales...last year myself and Ange were up at 6am every Sunday through til beginning of November doing car boots :shock:
The parcels from here..Christmas and the Goody bags.. really help with things needed to keep buns happy and healthy :D
A few people have done a few fundraising things for us..such as Jane's guess Libby's weight comp.

We also have the odd nutcase who is willing to throw themselves out of planes to raise money! :lol: :lol:

All this helps...but in the long run my bank balance is never healthy..

but must add.. a few of my family and friends have suggested i stop, due to the financial committment..but I couldn't..despite the heartbreak you sometimes have to face and the hard work..and the money..I love doing it.
Seeing bunnies like the Dreadful Day ones..or Chocolate, grow fit and well is priceless...so go for it Phil!
And by the way just realised haven't sent you the forms..will do it now! :oops:

We allocate £300 per bunny!!!! If we cannot afford to pay out the £300 we will not take on anymore rabbits until we can. I also have a back up account for really sick rabbits! :shock:

Im at the vets roughly twice a week as it is...

Back