• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BRC Ring?

debpayne

Young Bun
Please can someone tell me what a BRC ring is? Sorry If I'm being dumb :? but I keep seeing it mentioned and can't work it out.
Thank you
Deb

It is a British Rabbit Council ring - a small metal ring put around a bunnies back leg so that they can be entered into BRC rabbit shows.

A breeder has to be a member of the BRC to ring their own buns, the rings have a code on that shows the bunny's date of birth and breeder/owner.

If you own a ringed bun you can join the BRC and transfer the bun to your name so that you can show the bun.

We now and then have a bun come into the rescue with a ring on..we always have them removed when bun is neutered. :D

Each breed has a different size so they shouldn't be tight at all, but obv not every bun is going to be exactly the same size so some will become tight. This is Misa's ring we just had removed, she's a conti and it was still quite lose on her, but she kept catching it on things. The vet shipped it off with pliers.

Picture005.jpg

And in this photo you can kinda see it on her leg (it was obv taken before the ring was removed)
Picture102.jpg

That's odd as the breeder I got Zeus from used plastic rings (safer) I got the impression that conti because of their size needed plastic rings. I know a new ring size larger than for British Giants had to be approved for them.

Caz

Does anyone know what the numbers stand for on the rings - I've read you can tell the buns birthday off the ring? Which bit of the code is that?

Generally I've only seen the year on them. I've never heard of plastic rings, I used to be in the BRC and have never seen them advertised, just the metal ones which they have a specific size for contis.

The original rings for the Continental Giants where made of plastic.

On a ring you'd have the following for example:

BRC00D12345

The BRC part stands for British Rabbit Council, 00 the Year (2000), D (the size) and the number the identification number in this case 12345.

HTH

Clare

Back