• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay or straw - how do I tell? :S

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

The OH bought some lovely looking hay (or at least I think it is) the other day. It seems alot stiffer then usual, but not sure if that is because they are such long strands.

My question is; how on earth do you tell the difference? :oops:

Thanks in advance for any answers

PS. It doesn't say on the bag for anyone who thought I was being a little silly :lol:

Hay is dried grass, so the strands should be long and thin, and it should smell sweet.
Straw is broader and flatter and a yellowy colour - your buns probably won't show too much interest in munching straw!

As well as being stiffer (unless it is very squashed!), straw is a hollow tube whilst hay (or grass) is a flat blade.

I gave him a bit and he loves it. It just doesn't seem like usual to me. It has the seed heads in the bag too - does that mean it's hay? :roll:

Am I being really thick here? :lol:

Sorry for all my posts - i've worked out (I think) that it's a mix of hay and straw. Is that ok to give Rusty?

Thanks,

Lynette X

Ok thats great.

I knew that rabbits liked hay, just with it always saying what it was on the bag, I only ever had to think about whether it looked and smelt nice.

So i've learnt something today anyway :lol:

Thanks people X

Is it the massive Fresh from the farm bag ? Cos it has a really misleading label on it.. :roll: :lol:
As for the above straw is a lot yellower and stiffer and such....
Hay is a lot greener and flatter and better smelling.

Sounds like you have either western timothy hay or oat hay there. If they're eating it with gusto and it smells nice, has seed heads in, but it thick and green, its probably one of these hays not straw.
they are gourmet hays!!!

Thanks for the replies. The bag is just clear so no idea what it is but he likes it and it is making him eat more of it so works for me! :D

Back