• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how old is too old to neuter?

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
As some of you may know i took on a rescue frenchie who was in a bad way. the 2 bunnies remaining there are due to come to me soon and bunnyrun is kindly taking one of them.
These poor boys live seperate lives and are both 'entire'. I would love them to have a girly (each!) to spend the rest of their days with but thing is they are approx 5 years old (could be a bit younger/older)
Is this too old for them to have the snip? What would you guys recommend? They have no health issues that I am aware of but one is a little thinner than when I last saw them. They are both lovely but all they can think about is bonking. any avice/comments much appreciated x

One of my boys was "done" around 4yrs old and he was fine - in fact when I collected him from the vet with my female who'd been done the same day - and she was 3 1/2 years younger - I thought at first they hadn't done him because he was so lively.
I presume the anaesthetic for boys is shorter as it's a much simpler op that for the girls, but like you I was very nervous about the GA on an older bun.
Suppose the main thing to ponder is their QOL - i.e. if all they're thinking about all the time is humping they must be really frustrated, but on the other hand, if they can see other buns and you think they're happy as they are then ....... you'd have to weigh up the risks.
I don't know why I've answered this 'cos I'm useless at decisions :lol:

thank you for the reply, just wanting to gather some thoughts! the little chap who can go to bunnyrun could be paired with a 5 year old gorgeous little lady but he would need to be 'done' first!

As long as your Vet thinks the Bucks are in good health then I'd say that at 5 they are not too old to neuter. I recently adopted a 10 year old entire Buck and there is no way I would subject him to a GA/neuter. But 5 is really middle aged. It will also mean your Vet can have a thorough check of the Buns teeth

Janex :)

As long as the rabbit is in good health there isnt really an upper age limit. The eldest I have had neutered is 10 years.

I agree with the previous comments...If their general health is good go for it :thumb:

I haven't had many male rabbits myself, so I can't really give my opinion on an upper age limit for neutering...but I've had a few older girls spayed (oldest about 9 years, done for medical reasons) and all have been OK :D

Back