• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

garden bark chippings...

xSarahx

Warren Scout
...you know, the dark type used for covering bare patches of soil in beds.

Are they safe for nosey, wandering, nibbling buns? :?

We've got them and we had no problems at all, except ours stinks :shock: :lol: and now the rabbits are pretty much avoiding going in the run, but I'm not suprised it does smell :lol: I don't know if they nibble them but they do pick them up and put them in a different place :lol:

Kirsty xx

I was wondering the same, because people say that the smell of conifer wood can be unhealthy for rabbits. I use bark chips in most of my flower beds, and now the run is next to one of the flower beds which needs a fresh layer of chips. The smell goes away after a while, though.

the only area of my garden that has bark chippings is the dog's toilet area - and it smells even worse now :lol:
(needless to says - no buns go there :wink: )

One of the bags had some really nasty stuff growing on it. When I looked closer I saw that it came out of tiny holes in the plastic. It is called slime mold, or dog vomit mold, which describes the whole thing quite well. :shock:

I'm not sure they'd be terribly safe for nibbling - for a start you don't know what trees the bark has come from, it could be a poisonous type, and also they could have been sprayed with a chemical preservative to slow down their rotting. Unless the bag says what variety of bark it is and that it hasn't been chemically tested, I wouldn't risk it in areas where bunnies mouths might chomp!

Yes I bought organic bark chippings, I think it was from a local garden centre. Mine don't chew it but then they have a lawn full of lush grass and herbs! I did worry about it too though, and had put off getting it for years but I can' afford pebbles :(
They have been fine, its been down about 3 months

We've put some down along the side entrance to the house and I spend ages sweeping it all back into the side as apparently it's great for digging in!! :roll: :lol:

Hmm, we're making a bunny enclosure in the garden this summer kind of like an aviary and were going to use bark chips for the flooring. Obviously that was a bad idea, so any idea what can be used instead?

Gemma

AliBenMummy said:
Hmm, we're making a bunny enclosure in the garden this summer kind of like an aviary and were going to use bark chips for the flooring. Obviously that was a bad idea, so any idea what can be used instead?

Gemma

well mine each have a digging area full of bark chippings :wink:

I got a good quality brand, made sure all the bags were sealed and clean, not had any problems with it, and they love digging in it :D

Ours have 1/3 of their run in bark chippings for digging, and they love it! Never seen them eat or nibble it, and had no problems in the 4 years we've been using it.

Back