• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

emilyarc

Warren Scout
Just thinking...
If a female rabbit has babies how should she keep them. I know they build a kind of nest with hay and their fur but do they the cover the babies over so they are no visible to the human eye with hay etc or do they just put their fur on top or nothing on top?

My one experience of this(!), the babies were in a mass of hay & fur & I piled fur on top to keep them covered.

Has your bun had babies/are you breeding?

No i don't breed or have a prgnant one! my two are both neutered!!
Just wondering what it is like when a bun has babies!
SO where the babies you had just hay and fur around them and then YOU put the hay on top or does mum do that naturally?
I

I should imagine the mum would do it herself. There was complication with my babies though. I got 2 temp buns in & they gave birth that night, so I didn't actually know which girl was Mum :oops: :lol: I left them together as I didn't want to remove the wrong bun. One was scattering the babies though (Dawn - now Speckles living with Cannonwoman) & Dusk was the one I saw feeding them, so I think Dusk was Mum & Dawn was Aunt :D

My does build a nest and cover/uncover the babies depending on the temperature. You'll know there are babies in it as it will either wiggle or you'll hear a chirruping noise (it's such a weird sound, like baby birds)
Some does are very bad at nest building and either won't bother (and the babies will be at risk) or they will scatter them and the babies will die of exposure

Back