• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Solve a Problem

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
OK - I have a bit of a dilema here, so please forgive the rant.

Where to start..... ok, we got Maddie last Decemeber with the intention of creating a trio and she was to live in the bunny shed with the other two. The two does didn't get along and after two months of trying bonding in several different neutral locations, a huge fight broke out so we stopped the bonding there and brought Maddie inside as a house rabbit, where she has been ever since.

Now as much as I absolutely ADORE having her hopping around / under my feet all the time, and getting groomed by her (she is very affectionate) - I can't help thinking that she will be better off for companionship with her own Husbun. Now if we were to do that then they would have to live outside as I am a bit of a Monica at heart and am missing being able to see my carpet as it used to be! Shes still not exactly getting the hang of litter training and she lives in the kitchen - which isn't ideal. But I would SO MUCH miss having her around....

She is quite a "human" bunny and is always after attention from anyone, will she get this from an understanding husbun? Am I actually being selfish in thinking only we can give her that attention!!? I've not seen her groom another bun in all that bonding time though - so I am worried that things won't go to plan for her.

Although Maddie is free range in the kitchen at the moment, we would plan to move them into outdoor accomodation, come the summer, alongside my other pair, into a Playhouse type thing with run attached.

So the question is....do I or don't I !! I do happen to have my eye on a boy bunny already, which has set me thinking........ It would be a while before we are ready to start making changes to the sheds, so wonder if its worth waiting till we are set up, or should we see if she'll bond with somebun first and have them inside till the village is ready?? I wouldn't put her outside to live all alone.

Is there anything else I've not considered?

I am sure Maddie would bond with a buck but why not let her do the choosing. I ALWAYS seem to get it wrong when deciding on a friend for a single Bun. They prefer to pick their own !!
Why not take Maddie along to a Rescue for abit of speed dating :D

Janex

Yep, if that's possible it would be a good solution. That way you can see how she reacts to the other bunnies and make the decision then :)

Tam

Yes, the bonds that haven't worked out in the past haven't been through any fault of her own.

Aww I'd miss her if she "left home"..... :(

If you could find a bun that was used to be a housebun and clean & tidy it wouldn't be any extra mess to have two inside..... ;)

Might have to work on the OH on having two inside ... Maddies "standard mess" is pretty bad though!! She's a typical messy teenager. When my parents visit, they reckon the house smells.... but I've not noticed!! We're kind of tired of cleaning up the puddles off the carpets too - although that could just need a bit more perseverance from us in her training?

What started thoughts putting them outdoors was the fact that my current run is needing replacing and Maddie needs a new indoor cage anyway - so why not spend the money on a bunny village?

Oh decisions decisions!!

Is she spayed? Girls can mark too. Could it be you're cleaning a bit too much, it can help to leave a bit of dirty litter in the tray after cleaning.

You could tell your OH you'd really like laminate/wood floors, they make mopping easier :lol:

Yep - she is spayed, we have struggled to get this far with her and her litter training though - tried alot of tricks and suggestions! We have recently given her access to more rooms in the house after she mastered the kitchen for wee's - which has thrown things out again, but we do just need to persevere there.

We have Laminate in the kitchen and its started to warp!!!

Any tips on Odour Reducing??! :lol:

Hiya

I'm pleased she is ok, if this helps, she was blissfully happy when she was with Alfred (but he decided a batchelor life was for him), and he got quite nasty with her which was why I seperated them, I moved Alfred indoors.

I was going to keep her - she was outside, but she did start to get depressed by herself.

(She never seemed to get the hang of litter trays then either!).

I hope you can find the right answer for you both, thinking of you.

Ax

Aww, poor Maddie. It seems she gets picked on by all the other buns. :(

I reckon the speed dating thing would be good for her and def take her to the rescue rather than bringing husbun home, trying the bonding, it goes wrong and by that time you're attached, so have to then find two extra bunnies... :D

Back