• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover grinding her teeth??

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Right... I've been bunny watching a lot lately, as you'd expect, as my 2 are indoors as each keep going down with GI stasis (I've actually lost count how many times now - which must be bad!!)

Currently Dusty is still on metoclopramide and metacam, and Clover just metacam. Clover is really good - poos are huge and she's really alert and on the look out for food. But, occasionally I see her doing what I think is grinding her teeth - her whole head vibrates.

Bearing in mind that she is the healthier of the 2 at the moment, what do you think??? I've never seen Dusty doing it.

I know - it's odd though, as she is on metacam anyway, plus she is the one who seems Ok at the moment! :shock: I've never seen Dusty doing it, who is the one who still isn't right.

Sounds like teeth grinding from what you describe.

Perhaps Clover has an underlying problem which is causing her pain (usually the case with stasis) :?:

Is it loud? and almost constant?
thats indicative of pain but i have bertie who purrs by himslef if hes happy and his head shakes and vibrates like fury!

I hate Gi stasi..its he most upsetting thing as it reoccurs more than any thing else ive had to dealwith with my buns..
dental buns are the worst candiates too...

youve had such a rugh time with your babies..i do feel bad for you i know how frsitrating it is..i was lucky with kibbles as she was given prepulsid at vets and i was given loads to gohome wth and oxbow crit care and re covery stuff..it wasnt her gi stasis that kileld her but her teeth again and they siad i was cruel to put her through it anymore..but now i know it would have posible to try to sedate her slightly differently etc i feel awful for that but they are so hard to cope with with constant dentals and gi stasis..oyu lose any nice time withthme..

having said that i miss her even nowshe was one heck of a bunny a feisty stubborn old gal..

i hope things pick up at last..i really do..xx

Thanks for the replies. It's loud but only seems to last a few seconds at a time.

Mine do soft teeth grinding when they are sitting quiet and sleeping... depends if its loud, you can usually tell if its grinding cos they are in pain. Sometimes it can be pure contentment...

Both of mine do a sort of chattery grind. It seems to come in groups of 3or4 chatters, then a pause, then some more, and so on. I'd assumed that it was contentment because their body language seems relaxed when they do it.

It can be difficult to tell tooth purring and grinding apart.

To me, tooth purring sounds like a gentle 'swish-swish' as the teeth are rubbed together, usually when stroked or groomed by another rabbit.

Grinding is a loud 'cracking' or 'chattering' noise, often when the rabbit is sat in a 'bun' position with feet tucked under, or sometimes with belly pressed to the floor. Sometimes with GI pain you can visibly see the rabbit tense up for a few seconds every so often, and tooth grinding follows.

Thanks so much - sounds like it's the contentment option. Proof that I'm just getting paranoid!!!

Back