• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Greedy Rabbit...!

Missk

Young Bun
I have two Lionhead Bunnies, Miffy is over weight and Blu has dental problems so needs to eat more.
I'm trying to cut Miffy's food down but its really difficult as she just eats everything i put down for them. She's always looking for food and follows me round sometimes till i give her some.
They eat small amounts of SS and have unlimited hay.
Blu is a small rabbit anyway and has never eaten much.
How am i going to help Miffy loose weight?
Is the only answer to seperate them when they eat?

My two have become like this, its crazy, running around your feet thinking you have something. Dont know what can be done really as rabbits arnt the most obidient of creatures.

Its his back teeth, he was in the vets most of last week as he stopped eating.
He came home on Wed then went in again yesteday and had a general anaesthetic so they could look at his teeth properly, He had some of the back ones clipped?
Can't remember the correct term they used, They say he might have to have this done every 6 weeks!
So its important he eats well, and he's tiny anyway.

Just a thought.... I know SS is better for buns as it's higher in fibre, but was wondering if Blu would be able to handle the Junior Excel better, especially if he has just had a dental. The pellets are very small and Poppy managed these when she had a jaw abscess. It also has a higher protein level so may help Blu to gain a bit more weight. Not sure if you think this might be worth a go. Sending hugs to Blu. Claire x

Dan said:
My two have become like this, its crazy, running around your feet thinking you have something. Dont know what can be done really as rabbits arnt the most obidient of creatures.

Glad to know its not just mine that does this.... :)
And i feel so bad when i don't give her anything!

If he has molar spurs then (providing there aren't complicating factors) he needs to eat more hay in order to help grind the teeth down. Since rabbits SHOULD eat as much hay as possible then just make sure you provide loads of fresh hay all the time, and only give a small handfull of pellets or so once a day.

Thanks Minilops, Will give that a thought. As he won't touch his SS since coming home from the vets.

They have Meadow Hay in the litter trays and also Western timothy Hay to munch on. Blu does eat the Hay but not large amounts.
I really hope he does't have to have his teeth done every 6 weeks!

Back