• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When did you get your first rabbit??

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I was just thinking about how much I love my rabbits, but it has only been in the last couple of years that I got my first one, I am 33 now. I was wondering how everyone fell in love with rabbits was it from childhood? Or was it more recently and for those who run a rescue how did it all start?
Sallyx

oh blimey................years ago when i was a nipper.
My neighbours bought a rabbit which i looked after when they were on hoilday.
The second time i looked after him i went in the hutch to find loads of wormy things crawling about where he hadnt been cleaned out for ages.
I promptly adorned gloves and cleaned him out (much to my parents disgust!!!)
We told them when they came home and low and behold they asked if i wanted him :D
So April who they thought was a girl came to live with us, had a sex change and was called Bugs :D

So thats it, sorry a bit longwinded and I cant even remember how old I was :lol:

My first 2 rabbits were Scipio and Gaius, who I got mid December 2006... I hadn't been allowed rabbits until then (although I did take in my friend's piggie when I was 17 - he was victim of a marriage break-up... I just said to my mum (who doen't like animals) "we've got a guinea pig")
I said to o/h the other day "I think rabbits are my fave type of pet" - he went mad and said "why did you make us get dogs then!!! :x " - I replied "you wouldn't let me have rabbits!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
p.s. I do love my doggies!!! :wink:

CottonMather said:
My first 2 rabbits were Scipio and Gaius, who I got mid December 2006... I hadn't been allowed rabbits until then (although I did take in my friend's piggie when I was 17 - he was victim of a marriage break-up... I just said to my mum (who doen't like animals) "we've got a guinea pig")
I said to o/h the other day "I think rabbits are my fave type of pet" - he went mad and said "why did you make us get dogs then!!! :x " - I replied "you wouldn't let me have rabbits!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
p.s. I do love my doggies!!! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never ever had pets before... my mam wasnt keen on animals... although she loves my guinea pig - Rachel, and only comes up to see her!! Shortly before i turned 19, i got my piggies, Monica & Phoebe and shortly after that Oscar. - all coming up to a year old.

I had a goldfish when i was younger... that was all.

Im making it for it now though!!!

My brother had a bunny when I was about 3 years old..
but i first had one of my own at 16..an unwanted one from a neighbour..Called Oscar!

Reason I started rescuing...cutting a long story short....i used to transport "death row" dogs in pounds to other rescues for a second chance..
...saw how alot of rescues didn't prioritise rabbits and were not good at rehoming them...helped one rescue to home some bunnies by highlighting them on here/RR ..at same time asked to help a friend rehome a bunny......
and decided to go for it myself..originally promised hubby only 4 rabbits in at a time..oh well he should have known me better! :lol:

My family had 3 rabbits when I was a kid - a dutch, a rex, and a ND. All of them lived together in a big chicken coop.

After that was a big gap until about 1998 when I got a pair of supposedly same sex babies to keep as house rabbits. They turned out to be a male/female pair and the doe had a litter behind the TV :shock:

We couldn't watch the TV for 2 weeks :shock: :shock:

Anyway, there was only 1 baby in the litter, so daddy was neutered and Mum, Dad and daughter made a nice trio. :D

I had a black and white bunny called Sooty. We always had pets when we were growing up. I must of been 8 ish, he lived for 7 years. Mum was always game for having more pets. :lol:

I had my first rabbit, called Pippa, when I was about 8. I then had another English called Frisky. When I got married, my husband bought me two dwarf lops, called Thumper and Benji. I then rescued two brown rexes from a man at work who was "getting rid" of them. I travelled to Essex to pick these two up. Over the past fifteen years, I've had a New Zealand White called Daisy, a Californian called Rosie, a dutch called Oliver. More recently I've had Teddy (sooty-fawn mini-lop) who we've still got and who is lovely, Poppy (fawn mini-lop who had to be pts in February due to osteomyelitis :( ) and I also now have Tilly (mini-lop who I re-homed from a Breeder as she was "no good for breeding". I have also my four and a half month-old blue Frenchie, Humphrey, who is gorgeous, despite taking a chunk out of my ankle last week when his hormones kicked in and despite having a frustrating watery eye problem - I love them all!! :love: I just love all rabbits - am obsessed by them! Claire x

my first rabbit (although i only very vidly remember him) was smokey, i believe a black cross...i would have been only 5 or 6. I can remember him having a pretty big hutch attached to my dads stock car workshop, and my mum allowing him to come on the garden and eating all the dandelions up...
I cant remember much more, apart from the morning he died. I woke up to hearing the back door open, peeked my head of the bedroom window and hearing my mum say to my dad 'how do we tell them he is dead?'...

poor smokey, i cant even remember were we got him from, or how old he was when he passed on :(

After that my first rabbit (as in i was totally responsible for etc), was Taylor, a lop earred cross and he was the love of my life. I was 11/12 and he went everywhere with me. He would run around my legs, sit on my lap, and indure rabbit cuddles, and so so so so much. He devloped extremely bad dental problems at around 8 months of age, and because niether me or my mum knew much about dentals at that time we just went along with what the vet told us. His first dental went very well, but his second didnt. Although he survived and was brought back home, he never fully recovered..and he past on when i was on hoilday visting my penfriend in scotland, i was 14 :(
I never cried so much in my life, when i came home he had his very special place in my garden, with a white cross, which is still there to this very day... (im now 22!).

I got my first rabbit Cocoa when I was 14, she froze in front of my dads milk float headlights when he used to deliver milk, it was 4 in the morning and freezing, she just let him pick her up. Never found her owners so kept her, she was a bit flighty and I found taming her a wonderful experiance and that started off my love for all things bunny. So thats 13 years :shock: I've been keeping rabbits now and have only ever gone a couple months without one!

When I was about 7 we had a rabbit and a guinea pig who lived together (yes I know but it was common practise back then). I named them.. Mr Rabbit and Mrs Pigg! :oops: Well I was only 7 at the time :lol:

It will be 2 months on the 3rd, we picked up Tiny from a refuge. It's my first rabbit, I loved every single day passed with him.
I'm just in L-O-V-E with him :wink:

I got Alice bun in my 3rd year of uni, so around 1999 - I was 21!

Don't shoot me, but she was from Pets at Home! :oops:

I've kept bunnies ever since but sadly lost Alice on Xmas Eve last year. :(

My brother and I both got a rabbit when I was about 8 and he was 6. They were nethies and sisters and we called them Nibbles and Twitch.. :oops: !! I had been going on about it for so long that my parents gave in... I have always loved buns and now have 2 house buns, Bertie and Daisy..

i never really thought about getting a rabbit until i started an animal care course and fell in love with the college rabbit Nala she was a black single maned lionhead with little tan patches round her eyes and since the college wouldnt let me have her i got Crystal instead from a petshop (bad i know) and then became quite obsessed! i used to spend all my time reading up on proper care and health :oops: that was 2 years ago though lol but i am still pretty obsessed with rabbits :oops: i think i have a problem im a rabbitholic :shock:

Back