• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mouse Proof Mesh??

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know of a mesh that mice can't get through? As some of you know I'm having a nightmare with mice in the shed. We've moved all the rabbits and guineapigs out of the shed and put poison down but it seems there are hundreds of the little :censored:

I'm considering rehoming the guineapigs except our first one Fudge to try and reduce the problem but I didn't think the mice could get in the rabbits enclosure. I've just been outside to feed them and a little mouse ran out of the rabbit run back towards the shed.

The shed is coming down once we think most of them are dead and we'll tidy the garden up so there are fewer places to breed. However are mice inevitable when you keep rabbits?

And if anyone would like to rehome my guineapigs please let me know - I have a pair of boars and a pair of longhaired girls to pet homes only.

I'm so sick of these mice :cry: :cry:

Mouse proofing is really difficult. If you can get your little finger into a whole, a mouse can get through it.

You can buy fine mesh I'm not sure where from, a search on the internet might reveal a stockist though.

Mice are more of a problem if you leave food in bowls. If you can get it so that your pets eat all of the food in their bowls in a short space of time, the mice are less likey to be a problem. Does that make sense? For example, rabbits usually clear their pellets quickly but guinea pigs tend to have food in their bowls all day.

Also, I'm a little worried that you're thinikng of leaving a piggie on his own, they're really social little guy and are lonely without a friend of their own kind.

You need to find a wire mesh whose holes are too small even for a biro. A mouse can get through any hole that a biro can pass through. One way to get around the problem would be to get fine gauge mesh and use a double layer, slightly staggered so the holes don't line up thus making the gaps really tiny.

FriskyClover said:
Also, I'm a little worried that you're thinikng of leaving a piggie on his own, they're really social little guy and are lonely without a friend of their own kind.

Yes I know this thanks :)

Feed them first thing in the morning, and empty out any food that is remaining in the evening.

Use heavy, high sided bowls that are difficult for the bunnies/pigs to tip over.

Interestingly...I've never had mice around the bunnies since I switched from a musli type mix to pellets (about umm 7 or 8 years ago). Not sure if this is significant, but perhaps mice prefer mix to pellets :?:

abbymarysmokey said:
Feed them first thing in the morning, and empty out any food that is remaining in the evening.

Thats what I suggested in a PM Kathryn.

Also...if the numbers are drastically reduced maybe its not really too much of a problem? When I had bunns when i was little i often saw mice in their hutch, but it didn't really seem to matter.

You can get a really fine mesh (this is what my run is made of, you cant get the tip of your pinky through. It 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch. You can get it in Homebase and most garden centres will do it too. :D

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been on to Kayj at Bunnyhops and she thinks her friend who is guineapig mad may take the piggies. I'm not rehoming the rabbits though, we'll move house first!!

I also talked to Kay about her boarding the buns whilst we try and get the problem sorted.... this morning I went into a kitchen cupboard and it's full of droppings - they certainly weren't there Sunday as that was the last time I went into it.

I'll look into the mesh thanks. And yes Mandy, I'd be ok with the 'odd' mouse or two but we have several families taken up residence here :x

Mice are a huge problem everywhere my vets where saying today how many of their clients where commenting on their cats bringing them in.

Might be worth calling rentokil in if the problem is that bad then they would also be able to tackle other house's and properties around you at the safe time. :)

Good luck we thought we where heading for a problem but the cat seems to have done a really good jobs the last few days. :D

Don't contact Rentokil, they're rubbish IMHO

Call your local council offices - they'll do the job for a fraction of the price, and keep coming out if necessary.

Luckily our pest control person lives in our village so she pops round and gives advice, although she says there's nothing she can do that we aren't doing, ie put down poison and wait

Back