• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a Dilemna and i need advice...

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
As you probably know i am against animal testing....

but i have no hutch cleaner.... which i know is effective as well as being safe to use with the bunnies and piggies.

I am currently using this : http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=V1P3T

which hasnt been tested on animals. But i am worried that it might be unsafe for the buns, and that is the last thing i want. I know vinegar is good but how good? Does it do the same as Virkon?

I have heard that Virkon is great and safe, but know it has been tested on animals. If only it hadnt.... :(

Note: I do not judge anyone for using Virkron (sp?), it is a great product. I am just weird and have these battles with myself and my conscience.

Please advice me!

So do i go against my concience and use Virkon

What about something like this?
http://www.veganstore.co.uk/earth_orange_spray.html

It doesn't say it is safe for animals but it sounds natural. OR, what about Ecover spray cleaner? It's environmentally friendly and not tested on animals.
http://www.ecover.com/gb/en/

I know the issue is whether its safe for the bunns to chew etc, so if I was worried I think i would spray it around and then wash it off with soap and water? Other people may not agree though :?

Personally, unless you have a large number of bunnies, switch those rabbits between hutches, have boarders, take in rabbits or do something else to increase the risk I don't see any need for harsh disinfectants anyway.

A bit of white vinegar or similar should be enough.

Otherwise, cleaners which you use on surfaces humans would eat off such as washing up liquid and then rinse well should be fine.

Tamsin

I only disinfect my wooden hutches about once a year :oops:

Even less if it's a clean/litter trained bunny.

For normal cleaning out I just scrub any wet/dirty areas with a bit of washing up liquid on a scourer or scrubbing brush.

It doesn't really matter what disifectant you use in litter trays, as long as it's rinsed well afterwards.

Amy

i agree - I don't disinfect mine unless they have had a bug/infection etc. I only have two and just scrub the hutch floor once in a while with hot soapy water and vinegar. and then rinse. Otherwise I just sweep out, wipe the lino with Keep It Clean and restock the bedding.

I have disinfectant to hand, if needed... but generally use baby wet-wipes for light cleaning. I assume that they are safe :?

I think you have to be careful with disinfectants. Im sure the fumes from the disinfectant can't be great for bunnies unless you really rinse the hutches well, but then you are left with quite a damp hutch. Obviously with infection, or myxi etc, I would disinfect. I would use washing up liquid and vinegar.

Ok so.... This V1 spray i have.... perhaps i should only use if one of my bunnies becomes ill yes, in order to disinfect? but in the mean time.... use the ole vinegar or washing up liquid. Cool.

Is there a certain type of vinegar that is better than others. Im not fussed about the price of vinegar... so shoot. Oh and what dilution should i be using. I am currently using white vinegar for litter trays etc.

Thanks for everyones replies!

Back