• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newspaper article-copy of letter added - any thoughts?

i dont know if anyone remembers but i posted awhile ago a piece from my local online paper of a charity who was advertising people to adopt a rabbit instead of buying one at easter...

well for once i bought the paper today and to my surprise inside is a repsonce from someone who has written in

its lengthy so i wont go into it all cas ill get finger ache from typing but in it the woman says -

children can care for such a pet and it is far better for them than sitting and consuming chocolate eggs

then underneath is a picture of a pair of rabbits saying - rabbits - a good pet for children!

have this awful feeling people are gunna go and think ooo a rabbit will be an ok pet and most will get forgotten about?

do you think i should respond?!
im tempted!

i think i will! will set to work on it tonight and let you lot have a goosey to help me adjust any bits or anymore info to it :D
thats if u lot dont mind :lol:

definitely go for it - they need to stress that a rabbit is a great pet for children ONLY if an adult is a dedicated carer too. All those poor buns left on their own all the time because no can can be bothered anymore.... :cry:

If I were you I would send in a 'horrified mother' letter saying how your child was bitten and scratched by his pet rabbit who had never seemed vicious before, but now the poor child is terrified of the rabbit and won't go near it and every time he does the rabbit lunges for him anyway. I reckon a bit of fear and doubt works better than logical arguments.

ok this isnt very good - i was wondering if someone would mind putting it more into order for me or any comments on anything i should add.
its all i want to say but it just doesnt read good to me personally. :lol:
also correct me if ive got any figures wrong

Dear Evening telegraph

I am writting this email in responce to ''Charity so dedicated to animals'' - pg 9 -30th April 2007 by *****.

Whilst i agree strongly resucing an animal from a shelter/rescue, giving them a new loving home and a new start is great. I am afraid i have to strongly disgree with the line that rabbits are good pets for children! People seem to have this conception of a fluffy cute cuddly bunny who will live in a hutch and will be simple to care for.
There is so much more to a rabbit. They require daily exercise, correct sized hutches rspca reccomend 6x2x2 for a pair of rabbits (with a good sized run available), 2 sets of vacinations, constant supply of hay, water and a selection of certain vegetables. a knowledge of rabbit health is also essential as rabbits who falls ill will go downhill very quickly.
it is also reccomended females are spayed to calm hormones and also reduce the risk of utery cancer by 80%
summer months requires daily cleaning and checking bottoms to prevent flystrike which is deadly to a rabbit and can result in death.
Often people do not expect rabbits to be so demanding hence why the rabbit is offically the most neglected pet.
It is nice for a child to have an animal around them aslong as the adult takes full responsibility and is dedicated to caring for the rabbit(and afterall the adult is the one who will be paying vets fees, food etc). children will get bored easily and dont think as far ahead as having to clean out a dirty hutch.

i personally feel easter was very very bad timing for advertising the rescue. easter is the time when most people do go out on impulse and get a rabbit then afew months down the line many rescues all over the country are full with unwanted rabbits.
buying a rabbit at easter is not a replacement for children ''consuming chocolate eggs'' - just ask people not to buy them for your children and limit the amount or buy something similar in price.

So i urge your readers to consider everything that does go into caring for a rabbit if they are considering getting one as a pet. can you afford the cost for the lifetime of a rabbit (they can live upto 8yrs +), vets fee's and a good sized living accomodation? research is essential into the care of a rabbit.

bumble3130 said:
children can care for such a pet and it is far better for them than sitting and consuming chocolate eggs

:roll: :roll: Buy them a skipping rope!! :roll: :roll:

Whilst what you have written is good and all the facts read true, I think it's a bit long and people might not read it all. I know some people didn't like what the guy wrote - but did you see the thread about the father who had two rabbits for his kids and told of all the problems he had? Something like that I think would keep people reading as it was humorous but had a serious undertone. He ended it with buy them a nintendo - sorry can't find the thread at the mo, will have another look.

Sorry can't find it so this reply is somewhat useless - someone else might know where it is tho.

Back