• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe to use balck bags in a hutch

holder

Alpha Buck
I need to know if it safe to use a black bag stuck to the inside of a hutch where the rabbits keep weeing, i have bought a bigger litter tray & weight it down but now they are weeing all over the hutch & it is really getting bad, i keep washing it out but im scared of the flys because of the smell.
it doesn't matter where the tray goes they will wee everywhere else instead so i have stuck a black bag in there.

Or as anyone else had this problem & if so what did you do any ideas please Thank you.

when i go to clean out my buns they always try to chew the bin bags so I wouldnt leave one in the hutch/shed.

Hope you find another solution, apart from cleaning them out regularly and using disinfectant thoroughly I dont know what else to suggest, sorry.

xx

I would be worried that the Buns may nibble at the bin bag.
Could you not line the hutch with newspaper and clean it out every day ?

Janex

Thanks Tracey i clean them out every night & they go in the wendy house at night but they have a run with a hutch on top for in the day, & i clean them out & wash it out with disinfectant every night. i will try the news paper tomorrow. Thank you :D

plastic bags

I wouldn't use plastic as it's easily ripped up and potentially swallowed.
My buns live in sheds and I line the floors with plastic tarpaulin (cost about £1 each from Poundland). I staple it down on the floor, and they've yet to rip one or pull one up (and mine are giants).
The tarpaulin is easy to clean as well, and cheap enough to replace if it gets smelly.
I'm litter training my new buns at the moment, and started with a tray in each corner of the shed, as they pee'd in all 4, but 1 week later and they have a preference for the one corner, so I'm starting to take the other trays out.
Are you making your trays "attractive" to your buns i.e. putting some nice hay in so they can munch as they "go"!?

I've stuck self-adhesive floor tiles on the hutch floor. You could do that, then cover it with several layers of newspaper and then whatever you usually use on top of that. Most mornings all you'd have to do is lift the newspaper and then wipe over the tiles with a disinfectant spray before renewing the paper etc .

Thanks again for your help, yes i put in the hay which they do sit me & eat it :lol: they do use it sometimes but not all the time,.
My son as some tiles left over from when he laid them in his bathroom, so i will pop over there tomorrow & get them. very good idea capel :D

If you haven't enough, Focus B&Q etc usually have odd packs of left-overs which they sell cheaply at around £3.00 for packs of 6 big tiles. My hutch floor is done in a rather "tasteful" woodblock effect!! :lol: I also put a couple as a Splashback where the litter trays go as Bournville sometimes backs up so far back that he wees ove rthe back of the High-backed trays!! :? :shock:

There have been a couple of problems with the adhesive qualities of some of the Poundland one which is why I hadn't mentioned them . It may just have been a couple of bad batches though, so worth a try, esp at that price :)

oh thank you for this post!!! i had lined the whole cage with industrial plastic but its not working where i have stapled it because of the staples the urine goes straight through, i am so getting some tiles now!! what a good idea!! sugar is starting to think its very funny to wee EVERY where so im going to have to do the whole cage.

Back