• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poo

I'm sure we all have this problem...how to get rid of rabbit poo...

I was thinking of how much rubbish I put in the bins, and how much of it is old hay, poo and sawdust

Does anyone have a good "recipe" of how to turn the above into compost really quickly ?

My bunny poo doesn't seem to break down at all quickly

We have a compost heap but it's nearly full and like you said doesn't degrade very quickly. I have been trying out different ways of disguising my rabbit poo along with my rubbish so the bin men take it :oops:

I can put bunny poo, wood shavings and straw in my brown wheelie bin and it is taken away for composting every couple of weeks. :D

We have to do the week run to the tip - it's a pain but I don't know what else to do with it all. Sometimes we sneak some in the bin but its starts to smell very quickly so the tip is the only option.

anyone got an answer that is env friendly ?

jane ? you must have a huge rabbit poo problem with all your babies !

I can't believe everyone on the forum hides it with the normal rubbish or takes to the dump

I have been putting mine in the wheely bin too, but it is doing my conscience no good

might have to start wearing baggy trousers and spreading it in the park al-la "the great escape" :lol:

rosie_rabbit said:
If you have a garden, bunny poo makes a great fertilizer :)
I used to sprinkle the bunny purlies on the garden until I read that it can encourage foxes who have a very keen sense of smell :shock: I stopped using chicken poo manure for the same reason :cry:

i use some of the poo for my plants but most of it ends up in the black wheelie bin which is overflowing every week. i'm due to switch to fortnightly collections in june (and wont be able to put it in the green bin) so i guess we'll be doing the weekly tip run :lol:

Compost it :thumb: I am assuming you all use cat litter/ megazorb or similar.
Trick is to water your compost bins. And make sure you put weeds, grass cutting and kitchen scraps (not meat). This will give you a balance of things in your composter.

You also have to turn it regular. :D

luvabun said:
rosie_rabbit said:
If you have a garden, bunny poo makes a great fertilizer :)
I used to sprinkle the bunny purlies on the garden until I read that it can encourage foxes who have a very keen sense of smell :shock: I stopped using chicken poo manure for the same reason :cry:
Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. I've never actually put them on the garden :oops: just had read that you could do so. But good to know of the fox danger.

trance said:
Is it not supposed to go out to the dustbin men then? Mine has being going this way for years :?

I used to too - until I got too many bunnies - and now it won't fit :shock:
I fill a bin bag changing everyone's litter trays alone :?

CottonMather said:
trance said:
Is it not supposed to go out to the dustbin men then? Mine has being going this way for years :?

I used to too - until I got too many bunnies - and now it won't fit :shock:
I fill a bin bag changing everyone's litter trays alone :?

you could always sell it on ebay :p :p

If you have an allotment nearby, talk to them. There is somebody near ours who bags up her horse-poo-and-sawdust and leaves it near the allotment. Her bags of poo are HIGHLY PRIZED, and all politeness and decorum go out of the window when two allotment holders notice at the same time that there is a fresh bag of poo to be claimed....

We return the empty bags for refilling, so it is all very environmentally friendly and symbiotic.

CrazyBun said:
If you have an allotment nearby, talk to them. There is somebody near ours who bags up her horse-poo-and-sawdust and leaves it near the allotment. Her bags of poo are HIGHLY PRIZED, and all politeness and decorum go out of the window when two allotment holders notice at the same time that there is a fresh bag of poo to be claimed....

We return the empty bags for refilling, so it is all very environmentally friendly and symbiotic.

I like that idea...lots of allotments near me...might even be able to convince them to collect ? :lol:

piningforarabbit said:
CrazyBun said:

I like that idea...lots of allotments near me...might even be able to convince them to collect ? :lol:

I'm sure I came across a website for gardeners where someone would sell their bunny poo for others to put on their gardens.

all our bunny and guinea pig poo goes onto our muck heap with the horses poo. rots nicely then we use it on the roses. we've had loads of poeple come round asking for some well rotted manure so it doesnt ever get too much.

Back