• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

young buck not eating properly

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I have recently got a 9 week old minilop. He is worrying me slightly as he doesn't seem to be eating his pellets. I have been giving him a few veggies but not to many because I didn't want to upset his tummy which he has been eating also he has been eating hay. He is bright and alert and not showing any signs of illness whatsoever he is a lovely boy. Should I be overly concerned as he is not eating his pellets? Any tips would be great.
Sallyx

So long as his weight isn't dropping I wouldn't worry. The main staple is hay so if he is eating plenty then thats great! Is he munching his hay and veggies straight away too?
Maybe just take him for a health check anyway, is he booked in for vaccinations?

Is he one you bred yourself or one from someone else?
Do you know how his litter mates are doing? If he is not one you bred yourself do you know what dried feed he was weened onto?
I think weighing him every few days might be a good idea. If he is not gaining then I would consult your Vet. Maybe you could try offering him a different pellet feed.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Is he one you bred yourself or one from someone else?
Do you know how his litter mates are doing? If he is not one you bred yourself do you know what dried feed he was weened onto?
I think weighing him every few days might be a good idea. If he is not gaining then I would consult your Vet. Maybe you could try offering him a different pellet feed.

Janex

Jane,

I think you might be right maybe he just doesn't like my food :D . He isn't losing any weight at all and is quite happy in himself. He likes his hay and veggies so I guess it could be he just doesn't like the pellets he is on. I will keep a close eye on him for a couple of days and if there is any change I will take him to the vets.
Sallyxx

Have you changed the pellets from what he was originally being fed?

If you have, perhaps you've changed them too quickly or it could be, like you say, he doesn't like them!

From one of these vet handout, from Dr. so and so, they said that for a mature rabbit, their diet should be 90% hay + the remaining pellet and fruits + veggies.

But needless to say, for a rabbit less than 2 yr. old, they should eat pellets. Try use pellet but hand feed. But if the rabbit like a lot of hay, that's very good, see if you can get some veggies and fruits, plus some pellets as the remaining balance of the entire diet. That way, after the 2 yr. is up, you don't have to worry the bunny is only eating pellet, not hay, such as the problem I have right now.

Back