• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benadryl and Allergy Eye drops...

minilops

Alpha Buck
Heard you can use Benadryl (Grape flavour?) for buns. Does anyone know what the dose would be (for 4kg rabbit) and has anyone used human allergy eye drops for allergies in their buns? If so, how often? Thank you. Claire x

I have used OPTICROM Eye Drops. 1 drop twice a day. Not at the same time as any abx drops/ointment

Some of the anti-allergy eye drops contain a steroid so I would NOT use them without consulting a Vet.

I would not administer Benadryl without specific Veterinary advice as it can cause side-effects including reduced GI motility.

Janex

Thanks Jane! I couldn't find your post about Opticrom, but I remember you saying you had used it on Brian-Bun! We have finished the 5 day course of Fucithalmic today and Humph's eyes are still watering down his cheeks (both eyes) so Vet said could be allergy, as well as the narrowness of his tear duct. Not sure what to do now, though, as the Vet said to see what happened after the Fucithalmic was finished and to be honest, they seem worse than ever! It's just a clear water running down both cheeks, but the area is soaked. We keep cleaning and drying it for him with tissues, but still they keep running. It's actually really distressing to see! In desperation, I have cleared all hay from Humph's hutch (except Oxbow Western Timothy for him to eat) and was wondering about whether to give the Opticrom a go. I don't think this Vet is going to be able to help with Humph's eyes and actually, to be honest, he was quite abrupt with me and I'm not sure whether to look for another Vet to do the neuter when it can be done. If anyone can think of anything else to help Humph's eyes, I'd love to hear any ideas. Thanks, Claire x

I've used vital eyes drops (which I got from Boots) successfully in chinchillas with sticky eyes. But they aren't specifically an allergy drop they were just useful to stop the eyes from sticking up and getting infected.

If it's an infection then 5 days may not be enough to clear it up and he may need a different antibiotics drops - I'm not a great fan of fucithalmic as it's so sticky. Streaming eyes can also be a sign of dental problems so he should probably have his teeth checked.

If you're not happy with your vet it's always worth getting a second opinion. If you are having a neuter done it might be worth getting a full dental check done at the same time. This needs to be done by a vet that understands rabbit dental problems though.

Paula

Hi Paula! Thanks for your reply. Humphrey had a dental check last week under GA (and a tear duct flush). He did have the very start of a molar spur on one tooth and had this treated. Vet said this is due to his jaw being slightly out of line, but didn't think it was connected with the watery eyes, although Vet did say the entrance to Humph's tear duct was narrow, just where he wanted to put the tube in. Humph has had Fucithalmic, Tiacil, Maxitrol and Fucithalmic again over the past six weeks. Could be the actual flushing aggravated the eyes again, hence being prescribed more Fucithalmic. Thing is it's only been since he had the tear duct flush on Monday that both eyes have been watering down his cheeks, hence possibility of allergies. Not holding much hope on this, but getting quite desperate as I feel so sorry for Humph with constant wet cheeks. Although we're cleaning them for him and drying them, it's not helping very much. :( Claire x

Back