PDA

View Full Version : Frida ok - Zeb ill now

sarahbarnsley
28-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Thankfully my little Frida is still with us this morning despite warnings from the emergency vet that she might not make it.

I noticed at midnight when i went to bed that she hadnt eaten her supper and she was lying with her tummy pressed to the floor, grinding her teeth. Her eyes were also glazed over. I knew as soon as she let me pick her up that she must be poorly as normally she would growl and pounce if i even attempted to handle her.

We took her to the emergency vets (thank god for insurance as her treatment plus £94 call out fee is beyond my funds at the moment).

By the time we got her there yellow fluid was coming out of her nose and she was maken a choking noise. The vet was very gentle and compassionate with her despite me only liking Rebecca to treat my rabbits. She diagnosed GI Stasis after examining her. She gave her antibiotics, metacam and another painkiller, some gut motility thing, and two huge syringes of glucose that she injected into her. Was all this correct? She did also say she had a partial blockage which im assuming is a GI obstruction. How does this need treating?

She did warn me that Frida might not live to the morning but if we hadnt have taken her in, she would most likely have died.

We had to keep her warm and try to keep her lively.

As soon as we got home she seemed to perk up a bit and has alternated between running round the bedroom and sleeping between Gails feet. This morning we have a few small poos and she's eaten a bit of food. She seems much better than last night. We are off to the vets at 9am so vibes please for my little baby. I was so upset last night but feel more positive today.

We also got stopped by the police on the way home as it was 1.30am but as soon as he saw Frida in the car he let us on our way.

Becca
28-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Awww poor Frida
Sending lots of get well vibes.

kayjay
28-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Sending vibes for her xx

FriskyClover
28-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Get well vibes.

GI Stasis sucks.

Azraelm
28-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Hope she will be ok xx

Jack's-Jane
28-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I hope Frida is now well on the road to a full recovery

Janex

chloaster
28-04-2007, 09:52 PM
So glad she seems to be perking up. Thoughts and prayers said for little Frida. How did the vet visit go this am?

HS
28-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Thank goodness you got her to the vet on time. Sending vibes to Frida.

sarahbarnsley
28-04-2007, 10:21 PM
just got back from vets who says she is better than last night but she still has a partial blockage by the feel of things

they have given her some more gut motility stuff and more pain killers. shes just eaten a bit of pear so she is still perky.

were going back to vets tomorrow for another check-up. the vet i saw today said that if she still has an obstruction then she will need an operation so fingers crossed she will be ok.

we've got her in the living room with us now.

sarah

Joanne26
29-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Thinking of you all today Sarah, hope she is ok
xxxxxxxxx

bunnymadhouse
29-04-2007, 01:12 AM
oh Sarah ,

such a worry :? .

i do Hope she ll be ok .

Angie

purplebumble
29-04-2007, 01:28 AM
keping fingers crossed for you..i hope she manages to get well enough for the op..hold in there bunny!

Sooz
29-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Lots of vibes for you and Frida at this worrying time X

sarahbarnsley
29-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Well its nearly 9pm now and Frida seems to be a lot better than she was less than 24 hours ago. She produced lots of poos strung with hair earlier one. The vet reckons this is a sign her stomach is finally working again and flushing out all the rubbish that has gathered there. Since then we've had lots of normal poos (i'm sure non-rabbit people think we are crazy :lol: ). She's eaten some hay, some pellets and lots of green stuff. I've picked blackberry leaves from our blackberry bush (planted for this kind of scenario), my mum brought us kale, parsley, mint and basil round and i've also bought a fresh pineapple and squeezed the juice out for her.

At the moemnt she's back up with Bracken so the others get chance to run around but she's coming downstairs in a bit for some fussing and she'll spend the night in our room again. She's being a bit picky at the moment and will only eat when we are with her but she is so much perkier than this morning.

Due at vets 9.40 in the morning. Will keep you all updated. Sure that this is yet another bunny conspiracy as we are supposed to be going on holiday in 8 days to greece. Last time it was Lola & gus and their fighting that caused chaos. We have decided though if she does need an operation (fingers crossed she wont) that Gail will go to Greece with her sister and i will stay at home as we cant leave her for a week (im going to greece again in sept anyway).

minilops
29-04-2007, 08:33 AM
So glad Frida is improving! Claire x

bunnymadhouse
29-04-2007, 09:56 AM
glad shes improving ....realy hope you avoid surgery :?

Angie x

Isabel
29-04-2007, 10:00 AM
sounds like she's on the road to recovery, good luck with her. xx

SarahP
29-04-2007, 10:36 AM
So glad she seems to be improving. :)

capel
29-04-2007, 10:41 AM
It sound as though she's on the road to recovery now. You must be so relieved. Have you tried giving her some of the pineapple instead of extracting the juice for her as it's another way of getting even more fibrous material into her..or is that not a good idea? Both mine adore fresh pineapple.

Sooty
29-04-2007, 12:00 PM
All sounds positive. i am very pleased for you. Keep on with the recovery :D :D

sarahbarnsley
29-04-2007, 07:50 PM
well Frida has spent most of the night running up and down the stairs and bouncing off gails head :lol:

shes eaten everything we left out for her supper and has left lots of poo all over the bedroom floor (normally a naughty offence but i'll let it go this time). some still are small but others appear normal.

off to the vets in a hour or so, will update then but it certainly seems like she's on the road to recovery

now zeb is being quiet :( but i think its because he's quite a sulky rabbit and used to running free downstairs most of the time. with us wanting to keep an eye on frida yesterday he didnt get much run time so im hoping he's trying to make me feel guilty. he hasnt eaten his supper but he doesnt always anyway but he's tucking into breakfast.

SarahP
30-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Oh no - really hoping Zeb is OK now!! Sounds so much like mine where one goes down then the other. My vet thinks it's E Cuniculi.

I have everything crossed for them both.

sarahbarnsley
30-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Saw my usual vet today with Frida, she says that the blockage seems to have shifted and she certainly is a lot perkier. She also attacked the vet which seems to indicate she's back to normal :lol:

She's given her another shot of gut motility stuff and sent me home with some maxolon to start tomorrow. She is eating tons now and pooing normally.

Sadly, Zeb has only done one dropping since last night to my knowledge, and isnt really eating. He's being quite quiet although he's not hunched up and has been hopping around. The vet said to try him with maxolon and see if it helped - if not, we've to bring him in to see her.

He did eat a few carrot tops and a bit of blackberry leaf earlier. At the moment he's sat looking a bit sorry for himself.

If he doesnt improve by tea time then we'll go to the vets.

I'm utterly mystified as to why both Frida and Zeb seemingly have the same thing. Although Frida's came on very quickly and she was a lot poorlier than Zeb seems - i cant understand why both of them are ill. And i would have considered that both of them had very healthy tummies. I am just wondering if the change in routine has caused this in Zeb - as i said before, we couldnt let him out of the kitchen yesterday due to Frida. Could he really be that sensitive to change?

Will keep updated.

SarahP
30-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Have you tried a tummy rub? They really seem to help mine shift some gas and some poos.

I'd strongly urge you to get your vet to explore the E cuniculi connection with this happening together like this - it's just like my 2. :( Sadly, mine have had stasis on and off for a year now, and I wish it had been picked up on sooner.

Really hoping they'll be OK.

Joanne26
30-04-2007, 02:30 AM
So glad Frida is improving :)
Hopefully Zeb may just have a bit of a sulk on??? Hopefully it only this.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all
Let us know how things go :)
xxx

SarahP
30-04-2007, 06:45 AM
How is Zeb??

sarahbarnsley
30-04-2007, 08:20 AM
angry, sulky and not very happy. he's eaten a bit more and also produced a few mis-shapen poos. he's still quiet but i've booked an appointment for 9.10am. gail is sleeping downstairs with him tonight - i'm on frida duty for another night. any change and we will take him to the emergency vets

we've given him some more maxolon just now and he's also just had a bit of a drink of water. earlier on he tried to attack gus and in the panic managed to produce a few more poos.

i did debate whether to take him back to the vets today but i thought i would give the maxolon a try.

frida has just done 2 large piles of poo and also bitten me so i think she's feeling much much better. she's having one more night in our bedroom as she spends most of the time running up and dowwn the stairs and the vet said it was good to keep her moving and stimulate her gut. we've been trying to do that with zeb and he has had a run round the garden.

will update tomorrow.

Jayney
30-04-2007, 09:30 AM
glad frida is feeling better and sending lots of vibes to poor zeb, hopefully he will be feeling better soon,

sarahbarnsley
30-04-2007, 06:54 PM
we have 3 poos this morning but he hasnt eaten much although he's bounding up and down the stairs as we speak. vets soon though so ill let you all know how it goes

frida back to normal for sure- she's also running around enjoying herself.

sarah.