• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frida ok - Zeb ill now

Thankfully my little Frida is still with us this morning despite warnings from the emergency vet that she might not make it.

I noticed at midnight when i went to bed that she hadnt eaten her supper and she was lying with her tummy pressed to the floor, grinding her teeth. Her eyes were also glazed over. I knew as soon as she let me pick her up that she must be poorly as normally she would growl and pounce if i even attempted to handle her.

We took her to the emergency vets (thank god for insurance as her treatment plus £94 call out fee is beyond my funds at the moment).

By the time we got her there yellow fluid was coming out of her nose and she was maken a choking noise. The vet was very gentle and compassionate with her despite me only liking Rebecca to treat my rabbits. She diagnosed GI Stasis after examining her. She gave her antibiotics, metacam and another painkiller, some gut motility thing, and two huge syringes of glucose that she injected into her. Was all this correct? She did also say she had a partial blockage which im assuming is a GI obstruction. How does this need treating?

She did warn me that Frida might not live to the morning but if we hadnt have taken her in, she would most likely have died.

We had to keep her warm and try to keep her lively.

As soon as we got home she seemed to perk up a bit and has alternated between running round the bedroom and sleeping between Gails feet. This morning we have a few small poos and she's eaten a bit of food. She seems much better than last night. We are off to the vets at 9am so vibes please for my little baby. I was so upset last night but feel more positive today.

We also got stopped by the police on the way home as it was 1.30am but as soon as he saw Frida in the car he let us on our way.

So glad she seems to be perking up. Thoughts and prayers said for little Frida. How did the vet visit go this am?

Thank goodness you got her to the vet on time. Sending vibes to Frida.

just got back from vets who says she is better than last night but she still has a partial blockage by the feel of things

they have given her some more gut motility stuff and more pain killers. shes just eaten a bit of pear so she is still perky.

were going back to vets tomorrow for another check-up. the vet i saw today said that if she still has an obstruction then she will need an operation so fingers crossed she will be ok.

we've got her in the living room with us now.

sarah

Well its nearly 9pm now and Frida seems to be a lot better than she was less than 24 hours ago. She produced lots of poos strung with hair earlier one. The vet reckons this is a sign her stomach is finally working again and flushing out all the rubbish that has gathered there. Since then we've had lots of normal poos (i'm sure non-rabbit people think we are crazy :lol: ). She's eaten some hay, some pellets and lots of green stuff. I've picked blackberry leaves from our blackberry bush (planted for this kind of scenario), my mum brought us kale, parsley, mint and basil round and i've also bought a fresh pineapple and squeezed the juice out for her.

At the moemnt she's back up with Bracken so the others get chance to run around but she's coming downstairs in a bit for some fussing and she'll spend the night in our room again. She's being a bit picky at the moment and will only eat when we are with her but she is so much perkier than this morning.

Due at vets 9.40 in the morning. Will keep you all updated. Sure that this is yet another bunny conspiracy as we are supposed to be going on holiday in 8 days to greece. Last time it was Lola & gus and their fighting that caused chaos. We have decided though if she does need an operation (fingers crossed she wont) that Gail will go to Greece with her sister and i will stay at home as we cant leave her for a week (im going to greece again in sept anyway).

It sound as though she's on the road to recovery now. You must be so relieved. Have you tried giving her some of the pineapple instead of extracting the juice for her as it's another way of getting even more fibrous material into her..or is that not a good idea? Both mine adore fresh pineapple.

Back