• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Cuniculi help please.U/D Sunday

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
The vet thinks Bob has EC, he has been in the vets for 3 days and I brought him home tonight, he is eating but not much and he is still wobbly on his legs.

I have been told to give him panacur and prepulsid, should I be giving him Metacam or Baytril? I wasn't told to.

Anything else I can do for him please?

My view is that Metacam would be useful. According to my vet, EC causes lots of inflammation.

Hi Theo

as I said to you on phone earlier...I thought bunnies should have Baytril as well....
If not eating well..syringing may be necessary.
If symptoms are severe steroids may also be needed
Some rabbits get incontinent with EC..if so the bun made need cleaning twice daily and some barrier cream such as sudocream applied to sore areas...

Increased thirst can also be present and if the bunny is generally feeling off colour ..may be best to leave a bowl of water in addition to it's bottle.

Hi..me too im inshock at having willow have it today..the vet took stool samlpes esp as we have 2 other buns..and she gave willow metaclop jab..baytril jab and gave me panacur in a bottle. and bio lpais sachets.

i also have oral baytril for her..
shes leaking wee alittle and wobbly and lethargic and not eating by herself but we are syringe feedingher every 3 hours. we are using rabbit recovery mixed with a little purree baby food the fruit one..and a bit of bio lpais. thenw e alternate it wih just bay food and fibreplex which is wonderful stuff. and i have just added soem metacam to a chunk of her fave..wetabix. but shes not e\tng. but shes had a few mouthfuls of hay.
is going tobe a rough old night for syre..
willow as checked for ear infections etc but because it happened so fast and she has head tilt its a given its Ec..
i hope your bun is ok..imworried sick about willow shes a young frenchie just over 4 week s old..maybe five now..so still a babby really.

I agree with Jill Theo. My Vet always prescribes the full remit of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and Panacur for EC. Also, in the early stages GI motility may be effected so Metoclopromide is also prescribed.
If Bun is incontinent I give sub-cut fluids as EC can effect the Kidneys so fluid therapy is important to support renal function (especially as Bun is on NSAIDs or maybe Steroids) and prevent dehydration.
If the Bun is very unsteady on his/her feet I have found giving STEMETIL (used to treat motion sickness in humans) helpful. You would need to speak with your Vet BEFORE giving this though.

Theo, recovery from EC is often VERY slow but recovery IS possible :)

Janex

purplebumble said:
Hi..me too im inshock at having willow have it today..the vet took stool samlpes esp as we have 2 other buns..and she gave willow metaclop jab..baytril jab and gave me panacur in a bottle. and bio lpais sachets.

i also have oral baytril for her..
shes leaking wee alittle and wobbly and lethargic and not eating by herself but we are syringe feedingher every 3 hours. we are using rabbit recovery mixed with a little purree baby food the fruit one..and a bit of bio lpais. thenw e alternate it wih just bay food and fibreplex which is wonderful stuff. and i have just added soem metacam to a chunk of her fave..wetabix. but shes not e\tng. but shes had a few mouthfuls of hay.
is going tobe a rough old night for syre..
willow as checked for ear infections etc but because it happened so fast and she has head tilt its a given its Ec..
i hope your bun is ok..imworried sick about willow shes a young frenchie just over 4 week s old..maybe five now..so still a babby really.

I am so sorry to hear you have a baby with it, it's just awful when bunnies are poorly but you sound like you are doing everything you can and you are monitoring her.

Good luck and I hope she makes a good recovery, lots os vibes for Willow

Jack's-Jane said:
I agree with Jill Theo. My Vet always prescribes the full remit of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and Panacur for EC. Also, in the early stages GI motility may be effected so Metoclopromide is also prescribed.
If Bun is incontinent I give sub-cut fluids as EC can effect the Kidneys so fluid therapy is important to support renal function (especially as Bun is on NSAIDs or maybe Steroids) and prevent dehydration.
If the Bun is very unsteady on his/her feet I have found giving STEMETIL (used to treat motion sickness in humans) helpful. You would need to speak with your Vet BEFORE giving this though.

Janex

Hi Jane

When in the vets for 3 days they gave him metoclopromide and panacur, but no antibitics which I thought was unusual and it made me think more when Jill told me they should have antibiotics as I always thought this the case.

Last night, 11pm, I gave him 5 x drops of Metacam

This morning Bob has drunk a lot of water and there are 3 big patches (50p size) of runny poo, not watery and slightly formed. he has eaten some veggies, just a bit of carrot and carrot top, he has had a nibble of broccoli as well, he is not that unsteady this morning, what do I do next?

Should I give him baytril?, metacam?, prespulsid? given his condition this morning

snowy said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Hi Jane

When in the vets for 3 days they gave him metoclopromide and panacur, but no antibitics which I thought was unusual and it made me think more when Jill told me they should have antibiotics as I always thought this the case.

Last night, 11pm, I gave him 5 x drops of Metacam

This morning Bob has drunk a lot of water and there are 3 big patches (50p size) of runny poo, not watery and slightly formed. he has eaten some veggies, just a bit of carrot and carrot top, he has had a nibble of broccoli as well, he is not that unsteady this morning, what do I do next?

Should I give him baytril?, metacam?, prespulsid? given his condition this morning

Oh gawd, legally only a Vet can tell you to give abx. I would certainly phone and enquire about it. If he has runny poo it may be considered unwise to give abx, especially ORAL ones :?
As for the prepulsid, again your Vet needs to advise. I guess it would depend on if any pellet poo can be felt in his guts :?
I would also ask the Vet about fluid therapy (Hartmanns Solution given sub-cut) If he is weeing a lot and also has diarrhoea he is at risk of dehydration. My UNQUALIFIED opinion is his Kidney's need as much support as possible right now.
I would give the Vet a call and ask if abx should be given (preferably by injection) Vet may want to re-examin his guts before commenting on the prepulsid. He certainly needs anti-inflammatories so hopefully the Vet will agree to prescribing Metacam.
I'd give him some Fibreplex too.

Sending lots of vibes

Janex

Jane

No vet until Monday!, I think I'll stick with what they told me to do, that's just the panacur and give him Metacam, obviously I'll watch and come back for further advice if need be.

I feel so flipping useless, I hate it when then are poorly, I am just so worried about him :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the advice everyone

Well, my goodness, there seems to be some improvement with his eating, On the way home from work last night I stopped and picked loads of dandelions, brought them home washed them and he nearly took my hand off for them. he ate some carrot and carrot top.

All I am giving him is panacur and metacam, I haven't given him the prepulsid because he is pooing OK and weeing buckets loads, he is drinking a lot of water and I have put Avipro in that.

He is still wobbly but seems to be a bit brighter, he is in a tris in the kitchen and I have filled it with hay and put vetbed at one end and he seems very relaxed.

Is there anything else I can do for him please or give him?

I am pleased to hear he now has a better appetite :)
It does sound as though his Kidney function is a bit iffy though so I would keep a good check on his hydration.
Its a bit of a catch 22 with Metacam as he obviously needs an anti-inflammatory but they need to be used with caution when renal function is compromised. If there is urinary incontinence due to EC that will be neurological in origin and not related to kidney failure. But if there is lots of drinking and weeing very 'watery' urine that is more indicative of renal impairment. So IF his kidney's are not working efficiently keeping a check on his hydration is especially important.
It is best to avoid feeding carrots to buns with impaired renal function (due to phosphate content in carrots. Same with Banana and Tomatoes) But other Veg is fine and will optimise his fluid intake. Calcium intake should also be moderated so no alfalfa based feeds and minimal higher calcium veg.

Janex :)

glad hes improved..willow has too andthne today gone two steps back..and still fighting the feeds etc
Shes not drinking as much as she normally does and peeing as much as usual..but seems to have control over it now not like friday weeing without warning dribbling..

have you got anywhere open to get some greens from i mean real humanised stuff..the bagged slad from our local co op is whatshe will eat no probs..its rocket watercrerss and two types of baby romaine letuce.pricey tho at £1.85 but if she eate sit im happy topay for it.

oh my its thanks to onehre that i learnt carrot tops are so high in calcium!

willow has her metacam burrowed into a small piece of aple and she scoffs that..
metacam certainly seems to perk them up but asjane says it is a worry about kidnay function
thanks for that ane i was going to temopt her with abit of grated carrot.to finger feed her with. glad i didnt

i really hope he gets on ok and will be given some good news at the vets tomorrow..
its hell when theyre like this and you panic isnt it..
willows not anting to sleep on anything soft and warm juts on her metal tray of the crate..maybe she feels hot with the inflammation and he feels cold with it..weird isnt it.

Back