• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weightwatchers for buns?!?

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
2007_0419rabbits0026.jpg

This is my rather large french lop, BB, modelling for her "before" picture for Bunny Weightwatchers.

We haven't got to the "after" picture yet as we're finding it really difficult to get her weight down.
She had a disasterous spay, had three hernias due to her body rejecting the suture material, and ended up on cage rest for all of last summer.
She's quite got used to doing nothing, even though she has the free run of the garden for most of the day - she just comes out and finds stuff to eat!!
She's on a hay and limited veg diet, but her shape isn't changing fast....

Any one else had to put their bun on a "diet"?
How long did it take your bun to slim? Any support/advice greatly appreciated!!!

My vet recommends unlimited hay and access to grass during the day and nothing else for overweight bunsters. She is a big but beautiful girl though. :lol:

My frenchie boy Darcy got weighed today at the vet - he's 9lbs!! :shock: No wonder my arms ache! Lots of hay and exercise (the latter being harder to convince a Frenchie lop into doing!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I reckon it's going to take 12 months for her to lose her weight.
She lives in a 7x7 shed with her mate, and she has access to run, but she is soooo lazy. She even lies down to eat the grass :lol:
The only time she exerts herself is when she does a binky!

I've cut her veg right down, much to her disgust....luckily she loves all types of hay so I keep giving her variety with that.
I have to feed her mate when she's out in the garden else he'd never get a look in!

Teddy weighed in today at 3.9 kilos :shock: I think that's almost 9lb!! He's on a new diet anyway and when he's in his new hutch and run (hopefully this weekend) he should get more exercise and lose some weight

Updated!

BB has been doing really well on her diet, and I can really see the benefits as she's much more active, is binkying far more, and when I give her a tummy rub I can feel that her big rounded belly has dissapeared.
I don't think the photo does her justice, but when I feel her I can tell she's much closer to her ideal weight.

Can other frenchie owners give me their opinion on her size...I've looked at the 2 in the rescue I help at and BB seems a similar size to them now...how does she compare to yours??

slimbb.jpg

My frenchie boy Darcy got weighed today at the vet - he's 9lbs!! :shock: No wonder my arms ache! Lots of hay and exercise (the latter being harder to convince a Frenchie lop into doing!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Thats UNDERWEIGHT for a Frenchie! http://www.thebrc.org/french.html

German Lops are a size down from a Frenchie and weigh a max of 8 1/2lb.

BB looks much trimmer :D

I've had to put a few does on major diets, Porsha is on one now, she gets 2oz of mixa day, loads of hay and has one of those tubes to play with all the time, encourages her to move about. She looks much better for it and keeps her self spotless now (she never had a dirty bum before but wasn't 'clean' - you could use her in a daz ad now! :D )

Arrr she looks gorgeous!!! :love: Do you have any piccies of her next to something or being held so I can judge her size? Then I might be able to compare her with Georgie my french lop though I have no idea what she weighs (meaning Georgie :D)

Esther x

BB looks beautiful, but what a sad tale :(
I don't know anything about overweight buns, but I'm sure she'll b fine with your love & care

Here's a pic (taken about a month ago so she is slimmer now) next to the dogs - she has a very wonky dewlap - it has reduced lovely on one side but not on the other - it just feels like loose skin.
Bigbunny.jpg

Back