• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you keep hay in (in the cage/hutch)

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Audrey has hay in her litter tray and in a little corner litter tray which she never uses as a toilet but a makeshift hay rack, but lately she has taken offence to the corner tray and keeps throwing it around making a mess so I need to think of something else to use. I heard some people say their buns don't like proper hay racks :?

Ideas please!

mine have ay in their litter tray and they have one of those long hanging baskets attached to the wall which they both usually sit in to eat the hay :roll: have you thought about drilling holes in and cable tying the corner tray to her cage?

Mine have hay every where!!! They have it in toilet roll tubes hanging from the celing, in a biscuit tin, in their litter trays, in a plastic basket (I had to put a brick in there though to stop them flinging it everywher) and in a cage type thing. And they get little boxes of it sometimes. Hay everywhere in a vein hope they'll eat it :roll:

Must be something in the air!! I've just come inside from sorting my 2 out after doing exactly the same :roll: They have a hutch inside the playhouse and use the bed area as a toilet so have loads of hay in there,but I like them to have clean stuff too so they have 2 trays full as well (I hide their pellets in there so they have 1 each) but they trash the place! I have just watched Gabbie throwing the trays around so the hay is all over the floor and she sat on top of the tray to eat the hay off the floor,I give up :D

Mine have hay all over the floor of their playhouse. On their 'sleeping shelf' they just have it in a pile. I tried making a hay dispenser out of a paper bag but they just chucked it :wink:

Mine have a hay rack above their litter tray, but rarely seem to take it from there.

I have a metal dangling ball thingy which i stuff with hay and they always empty this. I also have a ball which you can stand on the hutch floor or fasten to the side, they have hay in the litter trays and i have started to stuff all the half eaten willow balls with hay too, it seems to get them interested in the hay and the willow ball again.

Although i have yet to see them finish an entire willow ball :lol:

I've given up on hayracks now for the hutch bunnies as they're no good if it rains! The shed bunnies still have one though and they have hay in the little hutch in there and in their litter tray! Caramel has hers in her litter tray, Twinkle has hers in a corner of the hutch and Fudge has his in an old ice cream tub as he's freerange in the house!

My Clover took a notion to start throwing the corner litter tray around just the other week. I cable tied it and she just dug at the contents until it was empty.

I have resorted to using a plastic storage box, which I have to put a brick in the bottom of before I add the megazorb and hay so she can't drag it! Happy days! She seems to like it

Fiona x

Mine have a hay rack .... of sorts .... They also have shoe boxes full of hay, horse hay nets, these ball things, their litter trays and in their bedrooms. Effie and Jess used to throw their corner tray around, they were in a raised hutch at the time, over a run, so I drilled a hole in the bottom and clamped it down with a nut and bolt. Cable ties sound like a good idea :D

My hay rack :D

CIMG7133.jpg

chloaster said:
Mine have a hay rack .... of sorts .... They also have shoe boxes full of hay, horse hay nets, these ball things, their litter trays and in their bedrooms. Effie and Jess used to throw their corner tray around, they were in a raised hutch at the time, over a run, so I drilled a hole in the bottom and clamped it down with a nut and bolt. Cable ties sound like a good idea :D

My hay rack :D

CIMG7133.jpg

What a fab piccie! :thumb:

Both mine have hay racks which they seem to enjoy eating from. They also have it in various tubes/toys/willow balls/hay baskets.... both they both seem to like it best from the rack :D Sophie actually has a hay "cube" which I just leave the lid off and tie it to her cage. :)

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0308.jpg

deejbowlcage.jpg

(excuse the poor photography)

Deej has a flat back hanging basket as his hay rack in his cage (room for lots of hay). Normally he has a litter tray topped with hay underneath (though in this pic for some reason he is relaxing with his food bowl)! He likes to sleep and eat there, but only occasionally uses it as a loo, he normally uses his other litter tray most.

Mine have a hay rack, but they don't eat out of it. They prefer to eat the stuff in their litter tray and the hay I stuff into toilet roll tubes. I've also bought them a willow wig-wam, so I'll see how they get on with it!

Thing is, I bought some good hay from The Hay Experts which goes in their hay rack, but they prefer eating the hay I bought from Wilko's that I put in their litter tray!

Thanks everyone. I'd forgotten that Audrey had one of those hanging ball things, so I've filled that up with hay and hung it up now. It gives a bit more space in her crate too!

I have hay racks (which are generally unused) and hay in their litter trays... Supermarkets have been providing veg-boxes as an alternative to carrier bags recently - the smaller ones go down really well stuffed with hay! :D

i just shove loads in their bed area and the eat it..... chloaster your hay rack is fab - is it made from a pallet by any chance?

Mine have a hay rack and my living room floor!! Both are excellent apparently. But also the usual, toilet roles, egg boxes etc. :D

i am giving up on the hay rack - they just don't use it. They eat it out of the litter tray and just around the hutch really. Annoying as i can't monitor how much they eat!!!

Back