• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming a fluffball

lil_sar

Warren Scout
Hello!

As you know, 8 week old lionhead Tinker has joined us. Just wandering if anyone had any tips on grooming and the best way to do this. I'd like to start soon as I want her to get used to being groomed. So far she seems to let me pick her up and she will stay still for a small amount of time. Is there an ideal way to position her and certain bits to focus on?

Congrats on the new arrival! Yes it's important to get a lionhead used to grooming ASAP because once they hit their "teens" they get rather feisty and independent! I'm not sure of the best brush to use, but really it's a question of regular grooming in short bursts which will be better than one long grooming session every now and again. Also, make sure you take care of less obvious areas such as the rump and the tummy, as these get overlooked as they are not visible most of the time (out of sight, out of mind).

Good luck! :)

AMETHYST

i dont use a brush.. i find a cat flea comb and another comb similar but the teeth alternate short and long.. are much easier at getting rid of any tangles. I sit mine on my lap facing sideways so that you can sort of keep them there with you other arm around them. I love grooming mine :D

I find with Shadow that it's not so much the hair that knots around itsself but around foreign objects - if that makes any sense :? :oops: Basically I don't really brush and comb her but I make sure I get all the sawdust, hay, twigs etc out of her hair and just run my fingers through it and that seems to keep hers knot free. :D I agree with Amethyst too, it's important to check the tummy and "skirt" around the rump too.

I use a comb for rudy as his hair is quite fine, I find that a brush doesn't get much off. Despite how much fur he has, he doesn't moult that much but he does have a tendancy to get a lot of matts which I just have to cut out. When he's in the mood, he doesn't mind being groomed - if he's not in the mood, he's a right fidget :lol: I often give him a haircut as well - otherwise he finds grooming difficult...

Here is Rudy with loads a fur :lol:

DSCF0101.jpg

And Rudy after a haircut :lol:

DSCF0127-1.jpg

You're right that it's good to get them in a routine. Bear in mind that the fluff little'un has at the moment will be quite different after the first moult, that's what I found with my lions. Tinker may have less, or more of a mane, or more susbtantial fluff on what I call the skirts (the area around the legs.
Having had angoras, I've foudnt eh best thing to do it to have several brushes for each area, the main body will be easy to keep neat and groomed, a soft bristle brush will geenrally do it when not in moult.
As for the mane, I use a metal comb, but try to be very gentle, I hold the roots and pull the comb through to stop it pulling to much. I also find that if there is a really bad knot, it's not worth trying to get it out, it's best just to carefully snip it away.
Hope that helps
Tinker is sooooooo gorgeous!

Thanks guys :D
I had a little go last night and she tolerated it- she has quite a big mane but that's about it. She does have a lot of foreign objetct- i.e sawdust on her bum, she leaves a little trail behind her. bless! :D

i found sawdust mad for my lot as like you say they leave a trail of it as they jump. I find wood based cat litter alot better and it doesnt stick to their fluffy coat :wink: Maybe just put hay/newspaper down in the main part of her hutch if she's an outdoor bunny :wink: . Mine are indoors and have lino on the floor and then boxes full of litter and hay and various balls of hay too :D

Diddeen said:
i found sawdust mad for my lot as like you say they leave a trail of it as they jump. I find wood based cat litter alot better and it doesnt stick to their fluffy coat :wink: Maybe just put hay/newspaper down in the main part of her hutch if she's an outdoor bunny :wink: . Mine are indoors and have lino on the floor and then boxes full of litter and hay and various balls of hay too :D

:thumb:

Yep, I don't use sawdust either and do the same as you with the woodbased cat litter and the newspaper in the main part of the cage :D

I use a comb like those used for cats. anybody has better suggestions? sometimes combs do not go through all the fur. And it's quite difficult to keep a bun quiet to brush!!! Good luck for your grooming sessions. It's not so difficult. It's my first experience with a lionhead and i like her (fluffy's) playful character so much!

Back