• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet Honey.......... UPDATE and new pic - May 8th

Doncat5

Mama Doe
This is honey, who I am kinda fostering until Jill can find a space for her. This lovely little girl was given to me 2 days ago after a chance meeting with a complete stranger! After a brief chat I discovered they had this very aggressive bunny who is overweight, unspayed, and about 9 months old which the children had lost interest in and they no longer wanted. I agreed to take her in and they brought her to my house 2 days later. It was quite obvious she hated the 3 children that had been 'looking after' her and they called her 'evil' as she squeaked, growled and bared her teeth but she just wanted to get as far away from them as possible.

When they finally left us in peace, I got into the run with her (nervously) to discover the poor girl hasnt got an aggressive bone in her body she is just plain terrified of being picked up and very defensive. She's been in my lounge for 2 days and happily hops about, she sat on the sofa with me for the best part of 3 hours and snuggled into my leg, she let me stroke her all over, kiss her nose and even nudged me for a stroke, but.... if you put 2 hands on to pick her up, she totally freaks out turning around frantically and squeaking. I've been a little worried about her lack of eating and pooing so today tried to syringe some food into her, after an hour of trying to get her in a towel, I eventually did, but the poor girl wee'd heself with fright. When she gave up struggling she froze with fear and her eyes shut as tight as can be..... she must have been handled extremely badly and its going to take some work getting her trust, but she hasnt made any attempt at biting me, and is definately not EVIL!!

The end of her right ear looks like it may have been trapped in a door at some stage as its crooked and has a faint ridge, careless children at a guess. Honey is a quirky looking girl and although I'm not a great fan of lops she is beautiful in her own way and she really deserves a chance at a happy life and I'm happy to help her. Last night she did 3 little binkies, she looked as shocked as me, I think its the first tme shes ever done one! Bless her.

honey005.jpg

honey003.jpg

honey006.jpg

Unfortunately many people are simply ignorant of a bunny's needs and treat them as toys that can be picked up and played with whenever they want, and not the living, breathing creatures with a heart and feelings that they really are!

When Rocket came to use he used to lunge and grunt whenever a hand was placed in front of him. It was obvious he'd been handled badly by children before he'd got to the rescue centre. With lots of patience and gentle handling he's turned into the softest little lad who loves to be stroked and fussed! :)

Well done for rescuing her, and I hope she finds a loving permanent home too. :thumb:

AMETHYST

I've worked with rescue animals a lot, mainly cats, but the consequences of other people actions never cease to amaze me. I find it unbelievable that so many 'people' find it acceptable to treat animals with any but complete respect.

Hey and listen to this..... as the previous owners of Honey were leaving my house, the youngest child said "mummy when can we have a new rabbit, one that doesnt bite", the eldest said "we're getting one thats already been neutered and handled". I wanted to say exactly what I was thinking but decided against it! :evil:

Doesn't it just break your heart.Those poor creatures have such wonderful personalities that just get crushed by ignorance and neglect, and yet with TLC and endless patience they can usually be turned around. I doubt humans are so forgiving...

She is so beautiful :)

It's such a shame that our little bunny friends can be so greatly misunderstood.
Hoping this little girlie gains confidence and gets her forever home some day soon.

xx

She's gorgeous. Very similar to my Bobby. Very glad she's with you now, I bet her binkies were very cute!

[quote="honeybunny"
I look forward to meeting her....and you of course! :D[/quote]

Look forward to meeting you too Jill. :D

She really is a little sweet heart, when shes relaxed, I've only had one bun as cuddly as her before. She comes to you and nudges for a stroke, and loves being kissed on the head (I know I shouldnt be kissing a bun thats not mine, I WILL NOT get attached lol), but as soon as you think about picking her up, she a nervous wreck, its a real shame but I hope we can make some small improvements over the weeks. She been eating a bit more today which is a huge bonus and her poos are a little bigger, she seems much more relaxed around my 2 children today also, I think shes realising that not all kids are horrible and out to cause pain!

Dona i know youre not a fanof squashie facies but this one is a sweetheart..and im so glad shes with you..and to have such an afectionate bunny but one so terrified of being picked up..and described asevil..lol that was reserved for my kibbles and your dazy! not ebveil just feisty old gals eh.

another bun oh thats nice..poor little thing!
you were exceptionally well beahved not yelling at them hun! bet you did behind theyre backs as they left tho!

Bif didnt likebeinghandled but whenwe first had her when i picked her up she used to freeze and curl her back feet up ready! now we gotta catch her first and she still freezes for a second or two..it takes a lot as shes had so much medicating blessher.
she loks a litle like willows colouring and markings.. :(

Heres Honey again, the savage, evil bunny that is totally unhandleable and not suitable to be kept as a pet!!!!

(sorry about the state of my hair lol)

honeyandme010.jpg

She not perfect, and she does still have some problems but to be honest most of it seems territorial and will hopefully cease when shes spayed. When out of the cage, shes fine 99% of the time and as a great bonus, she hasnt chewed a thing in my lounge, considering I was told she was a bad chewer.... I think she must have chewed out of bordeom before! She'll make a good house bunny and doesnt wee and poo all over the place either. She is eating ok, and has lost a fair bit of weight which she looks all the better for. She does still have some fear, based around being 'grabbed at' but she's coming along great and as long as I 'read her' and take my time, by keeping a firm grip, I can just about steal a cuddle. :wink:

Bless ya Honey, they didnt deserve you!

Back