• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding a 3rd bun

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Long time no speak!!

Holly and Alfie live in a 6x7 outdoor shed which is huge for two small buns, they get LOADS of free range time in the garden under supervision.

I am so tempted to add a 3rd bunny to them but both my fiance and mum say that Holly and Alfie are so happy why rock the nest? Alfie is very easy going but Holly is a little stroppy and absolutely adores Alfie so worried about her getting jealous.

Does anyone else have a trio? Obviously I would have to add another girl.

thanks

I've got a failed trio (so thats a house rabbit instead :lol: ).

I thought exactly the same as you in that the couple had loads of space and squeezing in a extra one wouldn't be a problem, but it didn't work out. My "original" female just won't accept the new doe on the block. The bonded pair ended up in a huge fight and Fozzie nearly needed stitches it was so bad.

So my advice is be careful!! You could give it a try, but be prepared to have alternative accomodation ready incase they don't get along.

I should add that we moved them into a brand new hutch after bonding in my kitchen for 48 hours :wink:

sgprescue said:
I have found it much easier to introduce another buck to a bonded male female pair then a doe.

me too in a trio - but I've found it easier to add a girl in a large group :D

sgprescue said:
I have found it much easier to introduce another buck to a bonded male female pair then a doe.

Me three - I have a fousome at the moment, three boys and a girl. I find boys easier going in general and if your girlie is the more temperamental of the two it would probably be easier to introduce a boy.

This is interesting, having just got Teddy it never occurred to me to bond him in with Pippa and MJ. Now I've bought him is own hutch/run so I guess I'll have to go through with adopting another rabbit - *sigh* :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, Pippa and MJ's bond is really strong and they groom each other all the time, so I'm not sure I would want to disrupt that although all three are laid back rabbits so it could have worked. Maybe I'll try in time to bond the two pairs together if that would work??

We rescued Mr Sniffs and he was in his own hutch for a couple of weeks, whilst we built the shed and got him snipped. We put them all together in shed shortly after Mr Sniffs had the Op. He was still seperated from the 2 girls, but could smell them and sniff them all from the safety of the run within the shed....this i'm sure made the bonding process easier.

Make sure if you do introduce them to another one, thats its in a Neutral Location...

Back