• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

litter tray material post spay

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
I have only ver had oneother femal bunny ihad spayed..other buns have been boys cept for bif who was spayed at the rescue..so im asking for advice please!
Willow is going in thursday to be spayed..yes im nervous as usual and remeber that kibbles was in for 3 days before i could take her home as she wasnt eating! she had a satelitte dish til the stitches and staples could be removed.
I have forgotten completelty about the littertray advice!
Willow is a f renchie and so has a FERPLAST TRIO litter tray from bunny basics..theyre great for big buns or two or more little buns arent they!
In the bottom i put enough just to slighlty cover the base of wood pelelted cat liter..then a few inches one or two of russlel rabbit bedding..it such soft fluffy straw its amazing..and then at oneend i put ehr hay soshe can eat n poo to her hearts content..she wrecked the hay racks and used to pile the hay etc on the crate floor and pee onit! :shock:

im worried the litter pan will be too high for her after being spayed but shes only really able to use this one..shes too big for the cat litter tray now!
help..what can i do and is the litter going to be ok..i dont like megazorb as it stinks up a storm and clingsto everything even the bunnies! the amount of carefresh id need for that tray would be unbeliveable!! and i guess she would prefer to have familiarity when she comes home..
i will strerilise everyhting and even her tray and then when i puit in fresh stuff i wil add a sponful or two of her wet litter.
Ive ordered her a vet bed fleece today from vaga valley..hoping it gets here next week..or its a blanket for bedding again!

im all geared up with recovery..infacol..bio lapis and fibre plex..and syringes and baby food..i remeber that mush nursing til theyre eating and spaying does cause so much pain..just need to get new bottle of metacam on thursday.
p,ease advice and tips guys..im a bit lost tobe honest!

A lot depends on how mobile she is. Smokey was quite fragile for a couple of days, so I just used to give her a big pad of newspaper to go on in the tray.

You could try an old towel in her litter tray or shredded paper. Is there anyway of getting her tray so she doesn't have to climb into it so much?

I used puppy training pads for the first day as I too thought the litter tray would be too high to get into without jumping. The second day they had the litter tray back with a puppy pad in it. After about a week I reverted back to the newspaper and hay.

Kate

Back