• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tunnel warning!

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
I had one of those fabric tunnels from P @ H - the stripey dark grey and burgandy ones.
Yesterday I went to get some of the rabbits out of the run and Lucky was in the tunnel. I thought she was just lazing in there to get out of the sun, but when I tried to get her out I found she was actually IN BETWEEN the double layer of fabric that makes up the wall of the tunnel :( I had to rip the material appart to get her out and even when I examined it afterwards I couldn't see how she had got in there. She was unhurt but pretty frightened.
Needless to say it is now in the bin.

Just wanted to warn others about this as I had made regular checks on the tunnel and had been unaware that there was anything wrong with it.

That's awful. :( Glad Lucky wasn't badly hurt.

I'd take it back to P@H and also write to their Head Office to alert them to this danger - it might get taken off the shelves if there's a fault with it and save some other poor bun from the same distress as Lucky.

I would also take it back and complain, by the sound of it this is clearly unsuitable for use with rabbits.

If I remember rightly someone else had a problem about a year ago with a different type of lined tunnel.

i wasnt the person mentinoned on the above post, but i have also had problems with this type of lined tunnel with rabbits.
although mine had tried to chew it, the two linings had sepreted and i had a 10 week old baby get caught, just like you described!.

i've had 2 of these. lily chews and the first one the material came away from the metal ring at one end so binned it. it was her fave toy tho so got her a nice new one and she did the same so removed it and now she has the green plastic one which is in some state now too :lol:

fi x

I have two of these and so far I have no problems, I will keep a close eye on them though, now, thank you for letting us know :D

My bin had already been collected so no chance of reutrning it unfortunately.
As I said, I had checked it regularly for wear and tear so I personally wouldn't get wnother, but if you do have one, I would advise it be used under supervision only, and not left in a permanently attatched run or anywhere else where they could get stuck in it and remain unoticed for any time.

I have one of these tunnels - but I know for sure I wouldnt have got one if mine were chewers.... I can see how dangerous they are... I guess tbh not much thought has gone into them.... :? but I am glad your bun is ok.

I've heard of this happening before. Well done for noticing in time! They should really come with a warning shouldn't they!

Back