• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I keep Tinker and Dillon separate?

lil_sar

Warren Scout
As you know Tinker has joined us. Currently I have Dillon in the lounge and Tinker in the bedroom.
Could I keep them both in the lounge in separate housing or is it best to keep them in separate rooms until I've began bonding?

It is good for them to get used to each other's scent, so being in the same room should be good, as long as they can't nip through bars etc. you may find them having pooing contests to mark out their territory though :lol:
Otherwise, how about swapping their litter trays around?

Thanks cottonmather!! I shall move her cage into the lounge then, at least Dillon can have a sniff whilst he's running around.
Can you explain the litter tray swapping- I guess this is to get them used to each others scent??

Yes, they get used to the smell. You could always try one in a puppy pen for a while while the other sniffs around? When i bonded Lolly and Sooty they lived in the same room with a "fence" between. They used to lie side by side.

yep, that's what I did anyway... rabbits tend to use communal lattrines; as long as they get the chance to get used to each other's scent, with no negative experiences of each other (nipping, chasing etc.), it could help with the bonding process... look for them being relaxed around each other, and perhaps don't let them get too worked up (excessive grunting, spraying urine etc.)... good luck :D

lil_sar said:
As you know Tinker has joined us. Currently I have Dillon in the lounge and Tinker in the bedroom.
Could I keep them both in the lounge in separate housing or is it best to keep them in separate rooms until I've began bonding?

Good idea, this would leave you more neutral territory for when you are bonding them together.

How soon are you planning to start bonding them? If it is soon, it might be easier to have them both in your bedroom so that they could be put together in the lounge after they are bonded.

I was planning to start bonding this weekend in the bathroom. I've brought her into the lounge and let Dillon hop around the cage. They were sniffing at each other through the bars and Tinker didn't seem bothered at all. Dillon did try and nip her nose once- is that not a good sign? I'm worried that when they are out together he might attack her :?

There will probably be some chasing, fur pulling, humping and even a few nips and bites for a while, but as long as there is no real injury, it's best to stay calm and leave them to it! :D
Give them plenty of distractions and try not to make a big deal out of it.
Just make sure that you are there to supervise if any intervention is needed...

thumper and lilly fell in love straight away it just depends on the bunnies!!
Its only been 2 weeks and they are inseperable although thumper i sstealing all the food and is now a little porker! so excersise is next!lol

So when I come to bond them in the bathroom, what things should I have in there? I think a water spray bottle may be at the top of the list but do I put food and toys in there?
I felt sorry for Tinker last night, it looked like she just wanted to play and was showing interest in Dillon then he turns round and nips her nose- maybe he's just showing her who's boss.
I think I'll give bonding a go on sunday- i'll get myself a comfy cushion. I am extremely nervous about the whole process :?

I put mine in the bath with a towel and spray bottle very close by, Luckly i didnt need it. With My first to Dillion and Honey it was love at first sight, He never left her side at all.

Back