• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis without primary cause?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Does a rabbit have to have a primary condition to cause it to go into stasis? I got home yesterday to find Zion flopped out in the playhouse and not at all his normal lively self. I tried to tempt him with food and I gave him some tummy rubs but he just kept laying on his tummy and flopping out so I guessed he was having tummy troubles.

I got him straight to the vet where they gave him a cocktail of metaclop, pain relief and antibiotic (not sure that was necessary but hey ho) and told me to keep an eye on him and bring him back today. He checked his teeth (obviously not under GA but with one of those scope things) and said they look good. He is a great hay eater generally so I’d be surprised if he did have spurs but I know that’s not fool proof.

When I got him home, within 30mins he was eating basil, pepper and dandelions and he ate all of his veg last night and was eating his timothy and rye hay when I put them to bed. Got up this morning and he is back to his normal self and ate all his pellets. Obviously the pain relief is still working so that may be why.

I am just wondering maybe he banged himself or fell awkwardly that may have caused him some pain to stop him eating and now he has had the jabs he is fine and getting on good. I will take him back this evening even though he is bright as a button now. Has anyone else had a bunny produce stasis symptoms but never found a primary cause i.e. teeth, injury etc?

thanks

Shiv

Sounds like he had colic :?
Aisling had the exact same problem on Sunday morning. She too recovered within an hour of treatment (Which I luckily had at home!!)

Hopefully for both Zion and Aisling it was a one-off problem although we may never know why it occured :?

With Zion, could there have been a predator about near their shed? Fear can cause a stress induced GI Stasis.
I am sure your Vet checked Zion over well ,including his bladder as urine sludge can cause intermittent tummy pain.

These Buns are a mystery at times..... :?
I am glad Zion is better now :D

Janex

Thanks Jane. Thats probably a real possibility of him having colic. Silly bunnies - they are a mystery to us.

Yes the vet gave him a good check over and was happy that I had brought him in.

As for the predator I don't know. There is a cat that comes to see them daily and she lays on top of their run watching their every move but they are very used to her now and she doesn't seem to bother him at all. Not sure about anything else - I can only think of perhaps another persistent cat in the area that I haven't seen, although Fia was fine.

Hey ho, just one of those things.

Thanks again.

Shiv

Hi - good to hear Zion is ok now!

Last year we lost my lovely Elmo to GI Stasis, and the vet could not find a primary cause for it which was absolutely gutting cos I felt I had to know the reason why she was taken away from us.

Her tummy was gassy, but she just didn't respond to any medication, tummy rubs, and she wouldn't even swallow when I was syringe feeding her - so it impossible to get any food into her.

I'd always believed there should be a reason for stasis, and was so shocked that "apparantly nothing" could take her away.

Glad its worked out for you!

According to my rescue centre lady, it can be anything from a change in the weather to having a tiff with another bunny.

It seems that stress of some kind is often a trigger.

Both of my bunnies get it repeatedly (in quick succession), and the vet can't find an obvious cause, but suspects E. Cuniculi infection (which one of them tested positive for).

Thanks guys. I don't think it's EC. I had a feeling that Fia may have had EC a little while ago but her test came back clear and neither of them have had symptoms of it up until the stasis symptoms yesterday.

He went back to the vets tonight and all seems fine. Vet gave him another shot of antibiotics :? which I was a bit funny about but apparently they don't like to give just one shot of antibiotics.....hmmmm. Anyhoo it's done now and he seems fine so I am a happy bunny and so is he :D

Thanks again

Shiv, Zion, Fia & Snowy

Pepper had an episode on Monday night. He didn't want his tea and had tummy rubs and infacol, and some recovery food. After a couple of hours he was fine.
He was only at the vet for his jab last week, so was checked all over then. My o/h went out to give them some grass in the afternoon and said he spooked Pepper, who was dozing :roll: , so maybe it was just that.

Back