• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trip to new vet

Ivor/Anna

Warren Scout
Ive taken Anna, my skinny rabbit, to my new vet today, the previous one has closed down. While my previous vets told me Anna was just 'petite' when i rasied my concerns over her weight my new vet has suggested some worrying things. He said she may have ulcers, intestinal bleeding or disorders but gave me treatment for worms just to make sure! At the same time she had to have an iron injection as she is anaemic she also is on antibiotics because of a possible chest infection!
Im just disgusted that my previous vet missed all of these things despite the amount of times ive been to see him since ive had Anna and every time he still charged me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not happy :evil:

Just to let you nkow ive been given panacur rabbit for the worms, i dont know much about it-any info?

Thats shocking, Lucky he closed then and you can speak to someone who hopefully knows what there talking about, I changed vets when i got my bunnys. my vet was more of a dog/cat vet. I looked for a new vet they are more expensive but know what thier talking about.

I'm really glad that you have managed to get Anna to a decent vet now and I hope that she is just petite and nothing more serious.

I had to changes vets too - I just didn't get the feeling that he was very well informed about rabbits. To be quite honest he seemed to be an old school dogs and cats vet to me. I used to leave the surgery time after time feeling like a mad bunny mummy (after paying for the priviledge!)
The new place we go to is much better and I've found that the younger vets seem much more clued up on rabbits and their needs. We got Loki spayed a couple of weeks ago and it all went well - I don't think I would have been as confident having the operation done at the old vets we went to.

Back