• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

basil hasn't been neautered!!!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
:( they said they won't spay holly unless for health reasons and i have to wait two months before i get Basil done :(

I am so confused :? has Basil been done (as per the headline) or has he got to wait 2 months (as per the body text).
I don;t know whether to congratulate Basil or not :? :oops:

Why would they not do him ? Are you looking for another vet ? Tell them you are spaying Holly for health reasons :? if she isn't spayed the chances are she will have health problems :(

Why wont they spay Holly? It is for a health reason if she isnt being used for breeding and you dont want her getting cancer :? Maybe you should speak with another vet hun x

Are his plums down yet? My Vet couldn't neuter Humphrey yesterday as his plums were too far up. Got to wait at least a month and he's been attacking me! Claire x

they say he needs more weight put on him but he doesn't eat hay or vegetables, the vet said he was perfectly healthy and his teeth are fine, how am i supposed to get his weight up???
they say it's to risky to spay holly

I would look for another vet Beth- if Holly is in good health then there's no reason why she shouldn't be spayed.

I would definetly get a second opinion for Holly :D I was told it would be too risky with Buu even though the same vet had no problem spaying Scarlett so I spoke to another vet and he was really good and spent loads of time with Buu to get her used to him before the spay and she was fine, recovered in a few days and no problems during the operation at all (she is two and a half) The first thing the vet said to me after checking Buu was that the risk of cancer is higher than the risk of problems relating to a spay :wink:

Someone correct me if im wrong but you cant always be sure a rabbit doesnt have teeth problems unless they are checked under GA. When i first got one of my bunnies he was underweight and had teeth problems but he was neutered and his teeth sorted out at the same time he has absolutely no problems, how would he have put weight on without the op to make him better :? i think you should get a new vet too :wink:

When we got Willow he was extremely underweight but we were able to have him neutured. He weight was so low that the vet said that his plums had gone up inside body and the skin had shrivelled, so much so that we thought he was already neutured. He gained a little weight and they came back. I would ask for a second opinion.

Vix said:
Someone correct me if im wrong but you cant always be sure a rabbit doesnt have teeth problems unless they are checked under GA. When i first got one of my bunnies he was underweight and had teeth problems but he was neutered and his teeth sorted out at the same time he has absolutely no problems, how would he have put weight on without the op to make him better :? i think you should get a new vet too :wink:

Unless a rabbit opens his mouth really wide you cannot usually get an adequate view of the back teeth to see if they have spikes. There are usually folds within the mouth which may prevent you clearly seeing the back teeth without an anaesthetic in the majority of rabbits.

my dental bunny eats pellets even when his teeth are playing up its hay and veggies he has a problem and you said your bunny doesnt eat hay and veggies, you can always ask them to double check when hes in for his neuter anyway it doesnt hurt to be safe :)

Vix said:
my dental bunny eats pellets even when his teeth are playing up its hay and veggies he has a problem and you said your bunny doesnt eat hay and veggies, you can always ask them to double check when hes in for his neuter anyway it doesnt hurt to be safe :)

some times he eats veggies, he just doesn't have a big appetite, it takes him two days two eat a veggie holder full of supa forage excel, mum thinks we should get him hay based pellets :)

hay based pellets sound a good idea. I'm assuming you've tried a sample pack of hay from the hay experts? If not I'd do that, you might find one he likes

Does Holly have health issues so that the vet is reluctant to spay her?

My Vet only found the start of a spur on Humph's molar when he was put out under GA. He said he wouldn't have been able to find it without the GA. Claire x

holly has no health problems :) they said she wouldn't need it and my mum is agreeing with them but i am pursuading her and it always works :oops: :lol:

Back