PDA

View Full Version : basil hasn't been neautered!!!



cavysrock
25-04-2007, 07:31 AM
:( they said they won't spay holly unless for health reasons and i have to wait two months before i get Basil done :(

luvabun
25-04-2007, 07:42 AM
I am so confused :? has Basil been done (as per the headline) or has he got to wait 2 months (as per the body text).
I don;t know whether to congratulate Basil or not :? :oops:

cavysrock
25-04-2007, 07:43 AM
no he hasn't :oops: sorry

karen354
25-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Why would they not do him ? Are you looking for another vet ? Tell them you are spaying Holly for health reasons :? if she isn't spayed the chances are she will have health problems :(

sillyrabbit
25-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Why wont they spay Holly? It is for a health reason if she isnt being used for breeding and you dont want her getting cancer :? Maybe you should speak with another vet hun x

minilops
25-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Are his plums down yet? My Vet couldn't neuter Humphrey yesterday as his plums were too far up. Got to wait at least a month and he's been attacking me! Claire x

cavysrock
25-04-2007, 08:05 AM
they say he needs more weight put on him but he doesn't eat hay or vegetables, the vet said he was perfectly healthy and his teeth are fine, how am i supposed to get his weight up???
they say it's to risky to spay holly

Azraelm
25-04-2007, 08:09 AM
I would look for another vet Beth- if Holly is in good health then there's no reason why she shouldn't be spayed.

sillyrabbit
25-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I would definetly get a second opinion for Holly :D I was told it would be too risky with Buu even though the same vet had no problem spaying Scarlett so I spoke to another vet and he was really good and spent loads of time with Buu to get her used to him before the spay and she was fine, recovered in a few days and no problems during the operation at all (she is two and a half) The first thing the vet said to me after checking Buu was that the risk of cancer is higher than the risk of problems relating to a spay :wink:

oscarbunny
25-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Yeah try another vet... and as for the hay... its vital that he eats it... try some different types. Mine are loving the hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk

Vix
25-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Someone correct me if im wrong but you cant always be sure a rabbit doesnt have teeth problems unless they are checked under GA. When i first got one of my bunnies he was underweight and had teeth problems but he was neutered and his teeth sorted out at the same time he has absolutely no problems, how would he have put weight on without the op to make him better :? i think you should get a new vet too :wink:

Suzanne
25-04-2007, 09:09 AM
When we got Willow he was extremely underweight but we were able to have him neutured. He weight was so low that the vet said that his plums had gone up inside body and the skin had shrivelled, so much so that we thought he was already neutured. He gained a little weight and they came back. I would ask for a second opinion.

janice
25-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Someone correct me if im wrong but you cant always be sure a rabbit doesnt have teeth problems unless they are checked under GA. When i first got one of my bunnies he was underweight and had teeth problems but he was neutered and his teeth sorted out at the same time he has absolutely no problems, how would he have put weight on without the op to make him better :? i think you should get a new vet too :wink:

Unless a rabbit opens his mouth really wide you cannot usually get an adequate view of the back teeth to see if they have spikes. There are usually folds within the mouth which may prevent you clearly seeing the back teeth without an anaesthetic in the majority of rabbits.

cavysrock
25-04-2007, 10:08 AM
the vet opened his mouth VERY wide, he said his teeth were fine, anyway he eats fine

Vix
25-04-2007, 10:24 AM
my dental bunny eats pellets even when his teeth are playing up its hay and veggies he has a problem and you said your bunny doesnt eat hay and veggies, you can always ask them to double check when hes in for his neuter anyway it doesnt hurt to be safe :)

Montana'n'Macey
25-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I say find another vet.
Our vet in town says you can't spay rabbits or they will most likely die. :roll:
We're on search of another vet.

cavysrock
25-04-2007, 10:25 AM
my dental bunny eats pellets even when his teeth are playing up its hay and veggies he has a problem and you said your bunny doesnt eat hay and veggies, you can always ask them to double check when hes in for his neuter anyway it doesnt hurt to be safe :)

some times he eats veggies, he just doesn't have a big appetite, it takes him two days two eat a veggie holder full of supa forage excel, mum thinks we should get him hay based pellets :)

kayjay
25-04-2007, 07:11 PM
hay based pellets sound a good idea. I'm assuming you've tried a sample pack of hay from the hay experts? If not I'd do that, you might find one he likes

Does Holly have health issues so that the vet is reluctant to spay her?

minilops
25-04-2007, 09:20 PM
My Vet only found the start of a spur on Humph's molar when he was put out under GA. He said he wouldn't have been able to find it without the GA. Claire x

cavysrock
26-04-2007, 05:15 AM
holly has no health problems :) they said she wouldn't need it and my mum is agreeing with them but i am pursuading her and it always works :oops: :lol:

BirdieBun
26-04-2007, 05:22 AM
but dont they understand that basil cant live with holly until she is speyed and thats why you want her done? :)

cavysrock
26-04-2007, 05:23 AM
they said that it wouldn't help if she was, they said there is still a risk of the fighting ( they know about basil being neautered etc )

youngbunny2
26-04-2007, 05:39 AM
are you going to put them together and have babies?

cavysrock
26-04-2007, 05:45 AM
are you going to put them together and have babies?

no! :?

nicole
26-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Sorry I'd find another vet :?

kayjay
26-04-2007, 07:04 AM
I'd find another vet too, but it must be hard when it's your mum's decision. My vet recommended spaying Pippa to prevent uterine cancer, so I'm surprised your vet doesn't too - my vet then went on to tell me that rabbits are solitary animals and I should get a guineapig for company for her so she's not rabbit savvy but even she recommended spaying :?

Azraelm
26-04-2007, 08:51 AM
I'd find another vet too, but it must be hard when it's your mum's decision. My vet recommended spaying Pippa to prevent uterine cancer, so I'm surprised your vet doesn't too - my vet then went on to tell me that rabbits are solitary animals and I should get a guineapig for company for her so she's not rabbit savvy but even she recommended spaying :?

I know of a vet who advises against spaying :roll:

Beth, seriously go to another vet. It would be great if you could get Holly spayed now and by the time her hormones have died down it'll be time for Bazil to be done!

Isabel
26-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Beth. I would look for another vet. I was shocked to hear the advice my friend was given regarding speying her rabbit, they said, basically she will probably die! While I know this sadly can happen it surely shouldn't be so expected like that. If they have doubts then they probably aren't experienced bunny vets, I'd go elseswhere.
Another name check for the Gamston massive! I know it's too far away but maybe you have a vets 4 pets nearer to you. I know there is another one in Bulwell (again too far but they obviously have a few around) Maybe you could see if anyone on here from Derbyshire knows of a good vet.

Good luck x

xEMMAx
26-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Maybe you could see if anyone on here from Derbyshire knows of a good vet.

I believe Becki has a very good vet in that area and has mentioned it to Beth before. Maybe you could contact her for the information Beth? :)

Rushie
26-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I was also told that it was very risky to spay a rabbit as they didn't tolerate the anaesthetic very well.

I found another vet that had experience of lots of spays.

Kate

abbymarysmokey
26-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I say find a new vet too :thumb:

My 8 or 9 year old female rabbit was recently spayed, and recovered within a week. She has loads of health problems including chronic urinary tract disease, but even she sailed through the op. (despite developing a hernia). Big thumbs up to Castle Vets in Nottingham for doing the op. :thumb:

I think the risks nowadays are pretty small.