• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting a Vet to.. UPDATED

kayjay

Warren Veteran
... administer the myxi vaccine correctly

Does anyone have any tips on how to ask if they give some intradermally? My vet isn't great with rabbits but I don't want to annoy them and make them think I'm some sort of know it all :oops:

I would say 'Do you do the 10% intradermal part of the vaccine in the base of my Rabbit's ears'?
If they say 'No' I'd say, 'Well are you able to be CERTAIN you inject 10% intradermally in the scruff'.
That way the Vet is alerted to the need for the 10% intradermal part (some still dont know :? ) They may also feel that as you have raised the point of injecting into the base of the ears they will do so. Its a damn sight easier!!

You are PAYING for the service and have every right to ensure the vaccine is administered correctly.

If the Vet disputes the need for the 10% intadermal part ask him/her to refer to the data sheet supplied with the vaccine

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
I would say 'Do you do the 10% intradermal part of the vaccine in the base of my Rabbit's ears'?
If they say 'No' I'd say, 'Well are you able to be CERTAIN you inject 10% intradermally in the scruff'.

Janex
If the Vet replied "what do you mean by intradermally", I'd be stumped :oops: :oops:
It's very hard to question a professional when you're a rank amateur that knows just above diddly squat :oops: :oops:

luvabun said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex
If the Vet replied "what do you mean by intradermally", I'd be stumped :oops: :oops:
It's very hard to question a professional when you're a rank amateur that knows just above diddly squat :oops: :oops:

I'd about turn and leave!! :lol:

'Intrademal' means in between the two layers of skin ie in between the dermis and the epidermis. If a VET did not know that they'd not be getting anywhere near a Bun of mine!!

Janex

luvabun said:
Jack's-Jane said:
'Intrademal' means in between the two layers of skin ie in between the dermis and the epidermis.
Janex
So what is in between these two layers :?:

I dont know what is between the layers. I believe the actual definition of 'intradermal' means 'into the skin'

Epicutaneous meaning 'on the skin'
Then comes 'intradermal'
Then subcutaneous (under the skin)
Then intramuscular- into muscle

I THINK thats right anyway

Janex

When Liam and Mishy had theirs the vet put it all in the scruff, then when there was a bit left in the syringe she pulled it out so far then the rest went in, was this right? :|

Joanne26 said:
When Liam and Mishy had theirs the vet put it all in the scruff, then when there was a bit left in the syringe she pulled it out so far then the rest went in, was this right? :|

It sounds like your Vet gave the intradermal part in the scruff which is fine :)

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Joanne26 said:

It sounds like your Vet gave the intradermal part in the scruff which is fine :)

Janex

Phew, thanks Jane, my vet is apparently rabbit savvy and has been reccommended to me, but just thought i would make sure :D

Well my vet was great - she said she finds it hard to do it in their ears if the rabbits struggling and jumping so does the intradermal bit in their scruff however Teddy was so good she did it in his ears

She also shaved his bum as there was poo stuck and suggested rearguarding him and a supplement called zivipro to help his gut whilst he gets on a better diet.

And charged £11.13 which I thought very good

Back